Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 of 12 Nov 2020 security update restart problem

Dear Community, After downloading and installing the security update of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 in 12 Nov 2020, my old al reliable MacBook Pro 7,1 mid 2010 will not restart and will not install the Security Update, I have to force shut down, does anyone has a workaround as of 17 Nov 2020 ? Thank you! Martita

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 10:43 AM

Hi Martita, I had the same problem and this is how I solved it:

1) make a clone of your hard drive to an external disk using APFS

2) boot from the external disk using the "option key" at login

3) download again and apply the security update with the external as the boot disk

4) now you can restart correctly with the external disk

5) boot again with the external disk, erase APFS your internal disk and clone the external to your internal disk.

It works.

I can't explain how or why, it simply works. Perhaps a corrupt temporary download or item or daemon was not allowing the correct installation of the security update and restart.

That problem was not present in the cloned external that was updated and later copied back again to the internal disk.

Kind regards, michaelpala

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 10:43 AM in response to martita61

Hi Martita, I had the same problem and this is how I solved it:

1) make a clone of your hard drive to an external disk using APFS

2) boot from the external disk using the "option key" at login

3) download again and apply the security update with the external as the boot disk

4) now you can restart correctly with the external disk

5) boot again with the external disk, erase APFS your internal disk and clone the external to your internal disk.

It works.

I can't explain how or why, it simply works. Perhaps a corrupt temporary download or item or daemon was not allowing the correct installation of the security update and restart.

That problem was not present in the cloned external that was updated and later copied back again to the internal disk.

Kind regards, michaelpala

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 of 12 Nov 2020 security update restart problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.