Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Texting Issue

Updated iPad Pro 12" to iPadOS 14.2. Now iMessage can no longer send/receive texts to/from non-Apple devices. Our iPhone 4s can send/receive non-Apple texts but they no longer show up on iMessage on iPad Pro. This is a serious problem using both devices for business and personal and, due to disability, not able to effectively use iPhone keyboard for texting. How can we fix this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:58 PM

I’m stuck for answers on the remaining issue. As described, I’m struggling to find an explanation.

I suggest that you try a forced restart of both your iPad and iPhone - as this will often resolve an isolated issue or other unusual issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

How to restart your iPhone SE (2nd generation), 8, 7 or 6:

• Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.

• Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off.
  • To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, or earlier:

• Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.

• To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 3:58 PM in response to Grandpa Adams

I’m stuck for answers on the remaining issue. As described, I’m struggling to find an explanation.

I suggest that you try a forced restart of both your iPad and iPhone - as this will often resolve an isolated issue or other unusual issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

How to restart your iPhone SE (2nd generation), 8, 7 or 6:

• Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.

• To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, or earlier:

• Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.

• To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

Nov 17, 2020 8:33 AM in response to Grandpa Adams

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Nov 17, 2020 2:49 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you LotusPilot. Your advice solved one problem but we still can't send a new iMessage from iPad to non-Apple device. Option to forward text messages on iPhone didn't appear until I added iCloud email to send/receive list on iPhone. Now text messages sent/received on iPhone show up on iPad. Big help. Thanks. But the really weird thing now is that we can message back and forth with a non-Apple sender from iPad if he/she sends the initial message. I cannot send a new message to non-Apple contact from iPad. Only option now is to send new message on iPhone then correspond on iPad when sender replies. Not impossible but difficult for us. Until recently (iPadOS 14.2 update?) we could send/receive text messages on iPad to anyone. What changed? is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Nov 18, 2020 4:48 AM in response to LotusPilot

Problem mysteriously fixed itself. Can now send/receive texts to/from iPad to non-Apple devices. Didn't reset iPhone or iPad. Didn't change any settings on either. Auto update is turned off. Didn't work last night but works fine this morning. Guess the iPad just needed a good night's sleep. Thanks again for your help. Enabling "allow text forwarding" was key to solving this issue. Why it took 24+ hours to work is anyone's guess.

iMessage Texting Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.