Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spinning wheel

What’s the spinning wheel next to the WiFi symbol and why does appear a lot of the times on the iPadOS 14.2????

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 6:01 AM

If background network activity is continuing, perhaps you iPad is re-synchronising locally stored data with iCloud - or maybe backing-up to an iCloud backup.

Without having direct access to your iPad and its current configuration, or a network analyser to study exactly what network traffic is being sent/received from your iPad, it is impossible for me to provide a definitive answer.

If your iPad is otherwise behaving normally, I wouldn’t worry. Unless your iPad is connected to external power, the iPad will disable its WiFi radio whilst it sleeps. This will interrupt any sync/backup process - and prolong the process; when awake, the iPad will pick-up where it left-off.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 6:01 AM in response to Lcfcno1fan

If background network activity is continuing, perhaps you iPad is re-synchronising locally stored data with iCloud - or maybe backing-up to an iCloud backup.

Without having direct access to your iPad and its current configuration, or a network analyser to study exactly what network traffic is being sent/received from your iPad, it is impossible for me to provide a definitive answer.

If your iPad is otherwise behaving normally, I wouldn’t worry. Unless your iPad is connected to external power, the iPad will disable its WiFi radio whilst it sleeps. This will interrupt any sync/backup process - and prolong the process; when awake, the iPad will pick-up where it left-off.

spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.