Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which OS will install if I reset to Factory settings or restore from Time Machine Backup

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 model. If I reset my Macbook to factory settings and I choose the option to restore to the closest OS that was originally installed on my computer what OS will install. I know that Mountain Lion which I what was installed on my system when I purchased it, is probably no longer available, but what is the oldest OS that can be installed with a factory reset.

Alternatively, if I wipe my Mac, can I restore from a Time Machine backup running El Capitan (I have a backup from last month that is an El Capitan backup)? I am currently running Catalina.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 7:19 PM

1) Probably Mountain Lion. That is what installed on my 2012 Mini when I was playing around with Internet Recovery and reinstalling. That was only a month or two ago. I was kind of surprised about that one.

2) Whatever OS was backed up; in your case it would be El Capitan.

2 replies

Which OS will install if I reset to Factory settings or restore from Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.