You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD player not recognized 2020 MacBook Air

My daughter has an Intel 2020 MacBook Air and when I connect an external DVD drive to her computer, it is not recognized by DVD player. It's like the drive is not getting enough power to fully function. The same exact drive, DVD and cable, when connected to my 2018 Four Thunderbolt 3 ports MacBook Pro is recognized and spins up just fine. Is there a limitation with the Air that I'm ignorant about with her two Thunderbolt 3 ports when compared to my four or is it more likely a hardware issue?

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 5:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:50 PM

Hello MacMonkeySmith,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with an external DVD player.

Please start with the guide here: DVD Player User Guide Troubleshooting - Apple Support

If using the Apple SuperDrive, you will need an adaptor: Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

"*MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models with USB-C ports require a USB-C to USB adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive."

Use one of these adaptors based on your computer connections: How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

"To connect your SuperDrive to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac, you can use one of these adapters

If your ports are not working for other items, it may be beneficial to reset the SMC on your MacBook Air: How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Also check your settings. Please be aware, a DVD will not show up on the Finder unless you enable the setting in Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on Desktop.

If using a third-party DVD player, please verify the DVD player supports macOS Big Sur. Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2020 3:50 PM in response to MacMonkeySmith

Hello MacMonkeySmith,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with an external DVD player.

Please start with the guide here: DVD Player User Guide Troubleshooting - Apple Support

If using the Apple SuperDrive, you will need an adaptor: Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

"*MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models with USB-C ports require a USB-C to USB adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive."

Use one of these adaptors based on your computer connections: How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

"To connect your SuperDrive to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac, you can use one of these adapters

If your ports are not working for other items, it may be beneficial to reset the SMC on your MacBook Air: How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Also check your settings. Please be aware, a DVD will not show up on the Finder unless you enable the setting in Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on Desktop.

If using a third-party DVD player, please verify the DVD player supports macOS Big Sur. Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

External DVD player not recognized 2020 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.