Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac mini and Apple Cinema HD 23" display showing a line in the middle

I just got my M1 mini, migrated all my data over, hooked up my old Apple Cinema HD display, and upon powering it up it shows a line on the left side of the monitor, and right in the middle. The middle line appears to be the last few pixels from the right side of the screen.

This monitor worked fine with my old Late 2014 Mac mini. No artifacts anywhere on the screen at 1920 x 1200.

The both lines show in every monitor resolution available (1920 x 1200, 1600 x 1000, 1280 x 800, 1024 x 640.)I was planning on buying a newer monitor in January, so I was hoping this one would work fine until then. Filing a report with Apple.

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:00 AM

Hi Michael, I am in the exact same situation.

Received my MacMini M1 yesterday (replacing my 2011 Mac mini) and have had troubles connecting my 'old' 23 inch Apple Cinema Display with DVI connector.

Trying an original Apple DVI-HDMI adapter didn't work at all for me. Perfect screen for a few seconds, but then screen gets all fuzzy and distorted. I contacted Apple Support and they informed me that only DVI-USB-C will work. See also https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-mini/apd8e4fbbb97/2020/mac/11

I am now using a third party DVI to USB-C adapter and the monitor connects now.

2 remaining issues still bother me:

• Brightness control buttons are not working on my Apple keyboard (USB is connected, Mac mini restarted multiple times)
  • Screen is not responding quickly after wake-up from sleep-mode.

Still figuring out how to solve this.

My impression is that the input/output connections are not yet working perfectly on the M1 chip. Or (and that would surprise me) connections are no longer backward compatible to an 'old' Apple Cinema Display.

If you gather new insights please share...

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 7:00 AM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Hi Michael, I am in the exact same situation.

Received my MacMini M1 yesterday (replacing my 2011 Mac mini) and have had troubles connecting my 'old' 23 inch Apple Cinema Display with DVI connector.

Trying an original Apple DVI-HDMI adapter didn't work at all for me. Perfect screen for a few seconds, but then screen gets all fuzzy and distorted. I contacted Apple Support and they informed me that only DVI-USB-C will work. See also https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-mini/apd8e4fbbb97/2020/mac/11

I am now using a third party DVI to USB-C adapter and the monitor connects now.

2 remaining issues still bother me:

• Brightness control buttons are not working on my Apple keyboard (USB is connected, Mac mini restarted multiple times)
  • Screen is not responding quickly after wake-up from sleep-mode.

Still figuring out how to solve this.

My impression is that the input/output connections are not yet working perfectly on the M1 chip. Or (and that would surprise me) connections are no longer backward compatible to an 'old' Apple Cinema Display.

If you gather new insights please share...

Nov 19, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I ordered the Apple USB-C to Digital AV adapter from my local BestBuy and picked it up this morning. I already had the Apple DVI to HDMI adapter when the monitor was plugged into my old mini.

This combination is working for me. No lines anywhere on the screen, and all of the resolutions work well.

Now I can wait until after whatever is announced at the virtual CES in January 2021 to see which Thunderbolt monitor with a webcam wants my money.

Thanks again everyone.

Dec 28, 2020 2:47 PM in response to waymcg10

I've had a second Support chat session today and have been told that the 23" display is now obsolete as far as Apple is concerned. 8-(

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

I've submitted a feedback request for the Mac Mini asking that Apple fully support the older display, ideally without having to daisy-chain multiple adapters. I'd suggest that everyone on this thread do the same.

I understand there are a number of 3P apps that you can get from the App store to allow you to control display brightness and I'll see if that's viable.

Nov 18, 2020 6:20 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks, but as I stated in the original post, it works fine with my old 2014 Mac mini.

I should state that this display has the "spider web" connection cables, and only has a DVI connector. That is currently plugged into an Apple DVI to HDMI adapter. But again, this monitor worked fine with the old Mac mini.

I've ordered a DVI to USB-C adapter to see if that is the issue.

Nov 18, 2020 7:29 AM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Michael C. Blasco wrote:

This monitor worked fine with my old Late 2014 Mac mini. No artifacts anywhere on the screen at 1920 x 1200.

Sorry, the first time you said that it "worked fine with my old 2014 Mac Mini" which was why I suggested testing the display back on the 2014 to make sure that it still works OK.

If the HDMI to DVI adapter you have is not working, then try a different HDMI to DVI or USB-C to DVI adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Adapter-Converter-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B0768RFQ83/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15243&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMGqr7GM7QIVTr7ACh1E_QmbEAAYAyAAEgL4lfD_BwE

Nov 19, 2020 12:35 AM in response to Michael C. Blasco

I ordered this adapter:

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/startech-com-usb-c-naar-dvi-adapter/9200000056230705/?s2a=

But this adapter doesn't work well. Apple Cinema Display is not recognised correctly, as a result wake/sleep and brightness controls on my keyboard or not functioning properly. Had a discussion with Apple Support yesterday.

Ik have now ordered an Apple USB-C to digital-AV-multiport adapter. That way I can use 2 original Apple adapters: DVI to HDMI, and HDMI to USB-C. I will know if this works tomorrow.

Anyhow, if you go for (cheaper) third party adapters, you apparently need to check if it is Apple-compatible (which I didn't for my DVI to USB-C adapter). I guess Den.Thed's suggestions are Apple compatible?

Nov 22, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Latest Update:

The Apple DVI to HDMI, HDMI to USB-C adapters seem to be working, but my monitor wouldn't wake from sleep the next morning. I could hear the mini responding to keystrokes, but no signal to the monitor. I had to set my Energy Saver prefs to never let the hard drive sleep when the monitor sleeps to get it back to working normally.

Nov 22, 2020 2:10 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems.

I have exactly the same set-up as you have (2 original Apple adapters), and screen display is fine now.

In another set-up I also experienced that my monitor wouldn't wake from sleep-mode, but that's no longer the case now.

However, sleep-mode doesn't work as it should, because the Led of my MacMini M1 isn't blinking, and the same applies for my Apple Cinema Display. My guess is that there are bugs in either Big Sur or for the M1 chip configuration. I am waiting when a new software update appears and will then check further...

By the way, my brightess control buttons in my keyboard no longer function. Still no idea why that is and how to solve this.

Overall I am quite disappointed that connecting 2 Apple products is no longer working since the introduction of the MacMini M1 and Big Sur. Why is it no longer possible to connect the Apple Cinema Display directly on the HDMI port? No clue...

Dec 11, 2020 1:44 AM in response to Michael C. Blasco

This M1 was the start of my new set for 2021. The 23 Cinema Display hd has worked perfectly on older Mac. But with Apple to dvi to hdmi had a line down the centre on the M1 Mac mini and the dvi adc stopped while trying sort the proplem with Apple support 😱. The 23 Cinema Display still works on a very old tower Mac with dedicated card. I can’t decide what is the best way forward. But I have order a replacement dvi adc. Clearly not all things will work despite apples sales advice. I have been looking new monitors but this makes this system the price of a new 27 I Mac.

Upgrading is never easy

Dec 25, 2020 9:04 AM in response to Michael C. Blasco

I'm is a similar situation, migrating from a 2012 Mac Mini to an M1. I also have the 23" Cinema Display HD. I'm using the Apple HDMI > DVI adapter as i was in the old setup. I see a bright pink line at the left side of the screen but, much worse are the 'ghost images' of windows that build up on the screen over time. So far I've tried a different HDMI > DVI adapter. I've checked the display is good by connecting it to another computer and I've confirmed the HDMI output of the M1 Mini is OK by connecting it (using the same Apple adapter) to a Sony TV (which looks amazing).

I've ordered a basic USB-C to DVI adapter and that should be here in a few days; I'll report back.

This is not the satisfying Apple experience I've come to expect! 8-(

Dec 27, 2020 10:24 AM in response to Douggf

I'm in a similar situation. I just replaced my 2014 mini with the M1. I've tried about every combination of adapters they make. Closest I've gotten to a working 23" Cinema display on the M1 is the USB-C to DVI, but it has the ghosting problem you're experiencing. In my case the ghost images fade over a minute or so. If you move an open window on the screen. it leaves a ghost image behind. Very frustrated and disappointed. Over the course of 3 days, I spent almost 3 hours on the phone with a senior tech advisor at Apple on this issue. I'm curious to know how the USB-C to DVI works for you. I'm using a third party adapter made by 'MCI'.

Dec 27, 2020 3:14 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Since reporting the problem with image ghosting when using an Apple (or 3P) HDMI > DVI adapter I tried a USB-C to DVI adapter which was 100 times worse giving a ghosted, blurred display that was completely unusable.

I've now got the Apple USB-C > Digital AV adapter and plugged the Apple HDMI > DVI adapter into that and the ghosting appears to be gone.

Unfortunately the display brightness is screamingly high and I can't find a way to adjust that; there's no longer a checkbox in Display Preferences to enable the monitor's own controls and the keyboard (Apple Bluetooth keyboard) controls don't work either.

Possibly connected to the extremely bright display I'm seeing flickering on some images, most noticeable in the Photos app.

So, some success but still my most disappointing Apple upgrade experience ever!

Dec 29, 2020 11:16 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks for the tip, I have control of screen brightness from the buttons on the side of the display although not from the keyboard; I'll still take that as a win! 8-)

Usefully I've been able to plug in to the USB port on the Apple USB-C > Digital AV adapter which neatens the cable layout and leaves the two ports on the Mini itself free.

Thanks again!

M1 Mac mini and Apple Cinema HD 23" display showing a line in the middle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.