Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the macOS Big Sur default lock screen picture?

Options for changing desktop picture and screen saver are in System Preferences, but I can not figure out how to change the default Big Sur graphic design background image on the lock screen (where you log in & out.)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:22 PM

Hi all! I tried the solution posted above and had no luck. However, I finally found a way to make the login screen the same as the desktop background picture. To do this, click on the apple at the top left corner, then click on "Lock Screen". Put in your password and your login screen will be the same picture as your desktop background! Hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 11:22 PM in response to Y883

Hi all! I tried the solution posted above and had no luck. However, I finally found a way to make the login screen the same as the desktop background picture. To do this, click on the apple at the top left corner, then click on "Lock Screen". Put in your password and your login screen will be the same picture as your desktop background! Hope this helps.

Nov 18, 2020 7:43 AM in response to Y883

It is likely stored in the Read-only portion of the OS.

I don't know where the file is stored, but since Apple has never intended for it to be modified by the user, it is likely in the Read-only volume.

You would need to first figure out what file needs to be replaced, then mount that read-only volume as read/write (i.e., boot from another drive or access in Recovery via Terminal).

How do I change the macOS Big Sur default lock screen picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.