Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Big Sur OS DVD player play bluray disks?

I think one of the drawbacks of recent Catalina updates has been the lack of ability to play BluRay disks through the Apple DVD Player. You have to go to 3rd party vendors to get a decent app that will play BluRay disks on a Mac.

I haven't tried Big Sur yet, so I'm curious, has the DVD Player app been configured to play BluRay disks, or will we need to stick with 3rd party software?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 12:27 AM

It will only playback a commercial BluRay DVD with Third Party software. I prefer Blu-Ray Player Pro from MacGo. It allows full playback with full menu support. It's essentially the BluRay player that Apple should have built with the exception that it requires internet connection to initially retrieve the decryption Keys. It works flawlessly. There are "Free" hacks out there to just watch the DVD with VLC and other stuff, but I like having the full DVD experience with menus etc. You don't need any software to browse BluRay DVD's that are used for storing files. Finder will do this natively assuming you have a hardware BluRay device. To be fair Windows removed the ability to even decode regular DVD's natively in Windows 10. It comes down to licensing. It's expensive and MacGo side steps this by not installing all the keys with the software. You must rely on third party help on both platforms now.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 12:27 AM in response to Victory@

It will only playback a commercial BluRay DVD with Third Party software. I prefer Blu-Ray Player Pro from MacGo. It allows full playback with full menu support. It's essentially the BluRay player that Apple should have built with the exception that it requires internet connection to initially retrieve the decryption Keys. It works flawlessly. There are "Free" hacks out there to just watch the DVD with VLC and other stuff, but I like having the full DVD experience with menus etc. You don't need any software to browse BluRay DVD's that are used for storing files. Finder will do this natively assuming you have a hardware BluRay device. To be fair Windows removed the ability to even decode regular DVD's natively in Windows 10. It comes down to licensing. It's expensive and MacGo side steps this by not installing all the keys with the software. You must rely on third party help on both platforms now.

Dec 11, 2020 11:31 AM in response to crash041

I just set up a Mac Min (intel 2018 config not M1) and purchased a third party BlueRay player - A PIAEK Super Slim Drive. I'm also running MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (which given the 6 hours I have had with this OS I would avoid it at all costs).

I have put in a couple hours trying to get ANY DVD to play in it and have not had consistent success.

a) DVD Player (which does not reside in the Application folder but IS hidden in the System\Library\Coreservices\Application folder plays a Standard definition DVD unreliably (hangs, etc) but won't open a blueray drive.

b) "Final Video Player" app, claims it will play DVDs but does nothing.

c) "5KPlayer" app has a icon to launch DVDs but does nothing, even with a standard DVD in the drive.

I am still hunting for an app that works and am pretty frustrated.

Dec 19, 2020 3:53 AM in response to pcsilvia

So, I tried this on an M1 machine where half the apps are running under Rosetta2, but VLC and MakeMKV combined should get you going. MakeMKV has a VLC integration option, so that theoretically should work. I tend to just create a digital safety copy of my DVDs and BluRays, then throw those on Plex either as is, or converted with Handbrake to a smaller format (48 gigs to around 7) instead of playing the optical media all the time. Might wanna give that a go.

Dec 19, 2020 6:02 AM in response to crash041

There is no Blu-ray support in macOS. Never has been. No Apple devices support Blu-ray discs. It is an all third-party device and software solution, providing one first confirms through the third-party specs, that the device is supported on current releases of macOS. Some devices are dependent on custom vendor Windows drivers for proper functionality and are paperweights on a Mac.

Software such as current releases of VLC and MacGo's Blu-ray Player Pro do well with a compatible Blu-ray device.

The Pioneer BDR-X12UBK states that it is compatible with El Capitan (10.11) thru Catalina (10.15). One would have to contact Pioneer as to whether is is compatible with Big Sur (11.1).

Can the Big Sur OS DVD player play bluray disks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.