Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari searchbar infected by unknown virus which could modify the search engine

Hi, my safari seems like infected by unknown virus after I accidentally clicked "close" button to the a pop up that telling my Mac is low memory. After that, my safari search engine became some unknown link such as searchmarquis, search baron and etc. I have installed combo cleaner and run a full scan but it not able to find the virus.

Could anyone help me to solve this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:31 AM

Hi There,

To troubleshoot your following issue, to detect any malware or unwanted software on your computer you can use a reputed malware remover software like malwarebytes. If no results are found in terms of any suspicuious software, you still have an option.

Reinstalling macOS. (Which will help remove any stubborn unwanted search engines taking over safari)

Reinstalling macOS necessary does not mean erasing all of your data and you can try reinstalling macOS without erasing your data for this issue although it is recommended that you do try a fresh install of macOS (because that would positively remove any suspicious software and adware) after making a backup* of what's important to you.

You can follow this article to reinstall macOS --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

You should remember to learn more about how to erase your disk from the provided article if you're willing to fresh reinstall macOS (which is suggested in this case)

*You can make a backup of all your important files, photos and documents with the help of iCloud or with an external drive you can make an entire backup of your mac with the help of time machine (You can easily restore your time machine backup when you're setting up macOS after a fresh reinstall)

For help with backup methods, you can assist yourself with this article --> https://support.apple.com/mac-backup

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 7:31 AM in response to Jonesh_M

Hi There,

To troubleshoot your following issue, to detect any malware or unwanted software on your computer you can use a reputed malware remover software like malwarebytes. If no results are found in terms of any suspicuious software, you still have an option.

Reinstalling macOS. (Which will help remove any stubborn unwanted search engines taking over safari)

Reinstalling macOS necessary does not mean erasing all of your data and you can try reinstalling macOS without erasing your data for this issue although it is recommended that you do try a fresh install of macOS (because that would positively remove any suspicious software and adware) after making a backup* of what's important to you.

You can follow this article to reinstall macOS --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

You should remember to learn more about how to erase your disk from the provided article if you're willing to fresh reinstall macOS (which is suggested in this case)

*You can make a backup of all your important files, photos and documents with the help of iCloud or with an external drive you can make an entire backup of your mac with the help of time machine (You can easily restore your time machine backup when you're setting up macOS after a fresh reinstall)

For help with backup methods, you can assist yourself with this article --> https://support.apple.com/mac-backup

Nov 18, 2020 8:21 PM in response to downc4st

okay I followed the methods suggested by downc4st. It took me 3 hours to finish all the steps (backup data>clean disc>reinstall macOS>restore data). It it working and better than keep trying with malwarebytes or combo scanner which cannot detect the issue.

In the end, please don't click the "close button" for this pop up if u don't want to get the annoying issue.

Safari searchbar infected by unknown virus which could modify the search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.