Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 requesting a 6-digit passcode after full reset

I bought a new iPhone and was planning on keeping my old iPhone 6 as my emergency backup. I did a full factory reset on it over a month ago and today I got it out to power it up and make sure it still works which I do every few months. The Hello screen displayed and when I pushed home I got a semi-dithered passcode request screen for a 6-digit code. I entered the ONLY 6-digit code I've ever used and ended up getting locked out for a minute. Based on past posts it looks like this has been an issue since at least 2016. Any updates? Or is my perfectly good but old iPhone now a brick? Would it be possible for Apple to stop putting out new products until they get the old glitches like this and songs magically disappearing during backups fixed?

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:16 AM

If you had attempted unlocking multiple times with incorrect Lock Screen passcode, or if a message says that your device is disabled, learn what you need,

You need a computer to follow these steps. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend.

Forgot? Click below to reset…

Click->If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 7:16 AM in response to MurphyAye

If you had attempted unlocking multiple times with incorrect Lock Screen passcode, or if a message says that your device is disabled, learn what you need,

You need a computer to follow these steps. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend.

Forgot? Click below to reset…

Click->If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

Nov 18, 2020 10:19 AM in response to SravanKrA

I ended up calling Apple support and this was the correct procedure - thanks! But I wanted to know the reason why this was necessary and I have seen several posts with the same issue. The way I understand it is if you don't remove your iTunes Store password and/or Apple ID from the phone when resetting to factory settings, it will cause this and also will not allow Apple's re-sellers to apply credit for a trade-in (which was also the case for me - I tried to trade it in and they wouldn't credit me so I had them send the phone back to use as a backup). I followed the restore procedure as listed here and was able to recover the phone.

iPhone 6 requesting a 6-digit passcode after full reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.