Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB NAS Share painful

Hello,

Has anyone else found that since upgrading to BigSur the speed at which I can talk to my NAS via an SMB share is painfully slow?

Yet, if I try from a MacMini, still running Catalina, it works much faster?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 2:53 AM

I found a resolution that solved the problem. I have to admit that I fully don't understand this resolution. All I know is that it worked!!!! I now access my NAS and I can also access all other devices connected to my network. After installing Big Sur, I initially couldn't, although in Catalina I could.

OPEN TERMINAL.APP and run the following:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

sudo mkdir -p /private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages   

sudo chown {username} /private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 2:53 AM in response to David English

I found a resolution that solved the problem. I have to admit that I fully don't understand this resolution. All I know is that it worked!!!! I now access my NAS and I can also access all other devices connected to my network. After installing Big Sur, I initially couldn't, although in Catalina I could.

OPEN TERMINAL.APP and run the following:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

sudo mkdir -p /private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages   

sudo chown {username} /private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages

Dec 4, 2020 7:25 AM in response to Roox

Thanks for the info.

I tried to copy a 4Gb file from my Mac, running Big Sur, to my WD MyCloud share that I have mapped to the desktop.

It literally took over 4 hours to copy.

Or should I say that I watched it for about 4 hours and then went to bed, so it could have been longer.

I downgraded back to Catalina, and did the exact same copy of the file, and it took less than 10 minutes.

That was the same Macbook pointing at the same NAS folder.

Weird!

Dec 8, 2020 2:45 AM in response to David English

AFP is the culprit. It has been a while since Apple starte support afp over smb to support homogenous networking, with BigSur the support for AFP has ended. Change the protocol to smb (smb3 if possible, Big Sur supports it anyway) and you should be up and running faster than before due to less protocol overhead.

Don't forget to change it on the NAS as well!

Recent NAS usually support TimeMachine over SMB (works for me), so I don't see why to stick to afp (don't know about TimeCapsule etc.)

Please let us know, wether that could solve your problem.

SMB NAS Share painful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.