Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update at night

Why won't my MacBook Pro update at night? It is plugged in, has Wifi, is open. I think all the right boxes are checked. I have very limited bandwidth at my rural home and need to use my 2am-8am allotment of 30 gigs/month whenever possible.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 10:04 AM

Hi CoraYvette,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you want your MacBook Pro to update at night. You can choose to start the update manually at night and it will continue to download any updates overnight. There is no feature to set a schedule for the MacBook Pro to check for updates.

Does the MacBook Pro update automatically during the day?

Is the update stopping overnight?

"On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.

To automatically install macOS updates, select “Automatically keep my Mac up to date.”

To set advanced update options, click Advanced, then do any of the following:

• To have your Mac check for updates automatically, select “Check for updates.”
  • To have your Mac download updates without asking, select “Download new updates when available.”
  • To have your Mac install macOS updates automatically, select “Install macOS updates.”
  • To have your Mac install app updates from the App Store automatically, select “Install app updates from the App Store.”
  • To have your Mac install system files and security updates automatically, select “Install system data files and security updates.”

Click OK.

To receive the latest updates automatically, it’s recommended that you select “Check for updates,” “Download new updates when available,” and “Install system data files and security updates.”

• Note: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air must have the power adapter plugged in to automatically download updates."

"Note: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air must have the power adapter plugged in to automatically download updates."

Keep your Mac up to date

Change Software Update preferences on Mac

Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 10:04 AM in response to CoraYvette

Hi CoraYvette,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you want your MacBook Pro to update at night. You can choose to start the update manually at night and it will continue to download any updates overnight. There is no feature to set a schedule for the MacBook Pro to check for updates.

Does the MacBook Pro update automatically during the day?

Is the update stopping overnight?

"On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.

To automatically install macOS updates, select “Automatically keep my Mac up to date.”

To set advanced update options, click Advanced, then do any of the following:

• To have your Mac check for updates automatically, select “Check for updates.”
  • To have your Mac download updates without asking, select “Download new updates when available.”
  • To have your Mac install macOS updates automatically, select “Install macOS updates.”
  • To have your Mac install app updates from the App Store automatically, select “Install app updates from the App Store.”
  • To have your Mac install system files and security updates automatically, select “Install system data files and security updates.”

Click OK.

To receive the latest updates automatically, it’s recommended that you select “Check for updates,” “Download new updates when available,” and “Install system data files and security updates.”

• Note: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air must have the power adapter plugged in to automatically download updates."

"Note: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air must have the power adapter plugged in to automatically download updates."

Keep your Mac up to date

Change Software Update preferences on Mac

Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

update at night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.