Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus scan on MacOS for Windows OS

I have a memory stick whiich has Windows files on it and i need to scan it for malware before inserting it into a Windows computer. However, the only machine available to me to download some McAffee (or similar) app, is a Mac. Will my downloaded app on the Mac spot and clean any Windows malware on the stick does anyone know?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 5:17 PM

If you acquired a USB stick from an unknown or untrustworthy source, then you should not connect that USB stick to any computer whether it is macOS, Windows, or Linux. Otherwise let the Windows built-in anti-virus software scan the USB stick as @BobTheFisherman suggests.

3 replies

Nov 18, 2020 1:59 PM in response to Tp1234books

Do not install any third party anti virus apps onto your Mac. Windows has moved past the need for third party anti virus programs. Modern Windows versions hvae built in security just as Macs do. Third party anti virus programs installed on Windows interfere with Windows Defender and built-in Windows protection. You are worried needlessly.

virus scan on MacOS for Windows OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.