Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated to Big Sur and no longer can access my hard drive

I updated to Big Sur on my Mac Laptop - (MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

Now, it will no longer see my hard drive. How can I fix this? Is there an update or something to get it to see my hard drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 4:00 PM

2 replies

Nov 19, 2020 9:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

When I boot the computer I immediately get the message, "the disk Mac HD laptop - data" hard drive cannot be found." I've looked online and this is a known problem with the update to the latest OS "Big Sur." It goes on to say: "A problem was detected with the disk that prevents it from being unlocked."

It's a known issue you can read about here: https://macreports.com/the-disk-macintosh-hd-data-cant-be-unlocked-fix/

This is my backup computer and I have shortcuts to many subdirectories, so I'm going to take my time, and eventually fix it using these instructions OR, if that doesn't work, will call Apple for help.

updated to Big Sur and no longer can access my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.