Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from iTunes, get "iPhone disconnected" error every time

I'm trying to restore a backup from iTunes onto an iPhone XR running iOS 14.2. Every time I try, it gets all the way to "2 minutes remaining", then says the restore could not complete because the iPhone disconnected.

What I've tried so far:

• rebooting
  • blanking the phone
  • reinstalling iTunes
  • trying both the standalone and Microsoft Store versions of iTunes
  • running Decipher Backup Repair
  • checking internet connectivity
  • changing the USB cable

If it were actually a USB problem, it shouldn't only -- and always -- disconnect at exactly the "2 minutes remaining" mark.

What else can I try?

iPhone XR

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 6:36 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 27, 2020 2:03 PM in response to Nospam Nospam

Hello Nospam Nospam,

It sounds like you are unable to complete the restore of your iPhone as it keeps disconnecting from the computer.

Here are some resources that might help:

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

Nov 27, 2020 2:19 PM in response to KMB_12

It turned out that even though the message said that the phone was disconnected, the problem was a corrupted backup file. I ended up using Decipher Backup Repair to fix the backup file, and after that, everything was fine.

If you’re having trouble with your backups, I cannot recommend Decipher Backup enough. The program just works, and the company responds quickly to support questions. Totally worth the money.

Restoring from iTunes, get "iPhone disconnected" error every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.