Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 pro or pro max paint peeling

Ive had my phone for less then a week. And I already see paint peeling on the the bottom right corner of the frame. I don't recall dropping the phone at all and i'm concerned that this might be a quality control issue since I got the phone at launch. do you think its worth taking it to the apple store for such a small issue? Im also concerned the paint peeling might keep happening if it is a quality control issue. can anyone let me know if they are facing the same problem.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 9:49 AM

Yes I think so, I find it really inappropriate for something like this to happen to such an expensive phone, while being so careful with it. The paint loss is really minimal in my case but I’m afraid more could chip off.

59 replies

Jan 26, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Y-TAPAR

They didn’t do anything. I tried contacting Apple support, and they said they wanted to bring it in for repairs. I then told them that I haven’t had the phone for 2 weeks, and that it would make sense to do an exchange free of charge. They directed me to a exchange program, but wanted me to buy the same model of phone which was over $920 and then they would refund the money back to my account. I also went to the apple store in person, and they said they couldn’t do anything because it was cosmetic damage. I did get the dbrand skin to cover up the chips. The skin covered the entire frame and it seemed to cover up the issue, but not resolve it. I then had a new issue when trying to put my phone in the Apple Silicon MagSafe case. The skin was bulky enough (Even though its about a sheet of paper) that it was difficult to put into the case. I couldn’t get my phone out, and decided to only have half of the frame skin (the part the covers up the lighting port up to the SIM card holder) in order for the phone to properly fit in the case). It really tore up the silicon case and here are some photos of it.

Jan 30, 2021 3:54 AM in response to alfredoxguazhco

I also have the same issue with my iPhone 12 mini (Red). It’s just 3weeks old and both of the camera coating is peeling off and a small peel at the middle left part of the back cover. This is my first apple product and I’m kinda saddened by this. Is there a way to repaint it or something? Maybe in the next few years? I can’t imagine the whole coating looking like a map or something xD

Apr 12, 2021 12:41 PM in response to alfredoxguazhco

Same thing happened to my black iphone 12 which i got about 3 months back.Noticed a silver dot on one of the camera rings and tried to wipe it off but it wouldn’t just go.so i looked closer and found it was peeling off.I have took such good care of my phone since i got it and used a case.The peeled off areas are really bothering me when i look at it and feels like its an old phone.Apple should really do something about it.As you can see from the picture there is some sort of bubble formation under the paint in the upper ring which when i touched it peeled it right off.

May 3, 2021 12:06 AM in response to Zaruf049

any update on this one?

I have the same problem on my iPhone 12 (black) - Camera ring paint peeling off and it has small bumps on it.

I talked to someone from apple chat support they said that I have to schedule for someone from apple technician to check on my device if this is a factory defect or cosmetic damage. I would like to know if I'd just be wasting my time going to have my phone checked and just get an "oh, we cant do anything with your phone blah blah blah" answer, or is it worth giving it a shot?

I just wanna find out cause before going to have it checked you have to back up your iPhone and do a lot of stuff.

May 3, 2021 12:41 AM in response to -rn-

any update on this one? 

I have the same problem on my iPhone 12 (black) - Camera ring paint peeling off and it has small bumps on it. 

I talked to someone from apple chat support they said that I have to schedule for someone from apple technician to check on my device if this is a factory defect or cosmetic damage. I would like to know if I'd just be wasting my time going to have my phone checked and just get an "oh, we cant do anything with your phone blah blah blah" answer, or is it worth giving it a shot? 

I just wanna find out cause before going to have it checked you have to back up your iPhone and do a lot of stuff.

Jun 24, 2021 11:12 AM in response to najeem80

After reading some of the comments from this thread none of them got any replacements due to apple labelling it as cosmetic damage so I thought it would be waste of time taking it to an apple store and there isn't any apple store near where i live.If any of you guys get some kind of positive response please do share it here.I have attached a picture of how my device currently looks and it has been 2 months approx since it started first.

Feb 5, 2021 4:11 PM in response to alfredoxguazhco

I am experiencing the same issue. Got my phone yesterday and it already peeling off. I have 3 dots on the top portion and just like you i don't remember dropping or bumping my phone to anything AT ALL... it's definite a quality issue. Had my Xs mas for a long time and it ok til i gave it away....

i was thinking this should be replaced since it was only bought yesterday... it sucks!

iPhone 12 pro or pro max paint peeling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.