Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera flicker

My iPad camera works fine until I switch to slo motion . It starts to flicker I don’t understand what’s the issue. I just got it 2 days ago , what do I do

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 9:02 AM

Are you using your iPad Camera in artificial light - such as incandescent bulbs or fluorescent tube lighting? This is often a cause for a strobing/flicker when the camera shutter doesn’t match the electrical frequency of your AC mains.

Whilst the physiology of the human eye generally hides the flicker from artificial lighting (typically 50/60Hz - depending upon your region), the camera shutter speed interacts with the lighting flicker; what you generally perceive is a flicker whose frequency is the difference between the AC Current frequency and the shutter.

If you’re not filming under artificial light, you may have an entirely different issue...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 9:02 AM in response to ananya19

Are you using your iPad Camera in artificial light - such as incandescent bulbs or fluorescent tube lighting? This is often a cause for a strobing/flicker when the camera shutter doesn’t match the electrical frequency of your AC mains.

Whilst the physiology of the human eye generally hides the flicker from artificial lighting (typically 50/60Hz - depending upon your region), the camera shutter speed interacts with the lighting flicker; what you generally perceive is a flicker whose frequency is the difference between the AC Current frequency and the shutter.

If you’re not filming under artificial light, you may have an entirely different issue...

Dec 3, 2020 10:10 AM in response to ananya19

You’re very welcome.

If you are in US, where the AC mains frequency is 60Hz, choose either 30 or 60fps shutter for video. In Europe and most other countries, where 50Hz main frequency is normal, choose either 25 or 50fps video. This should almost entirely eliminate flicker or rolling shutter issues.

Contrary to popular myth, faster shutter speeds are not necessarily the best option - especially when filming under artificial light sources.

Camera flicker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.