Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant - will this also transfer software licenses for apps I have purchased on old (to be decommissioned) MacBook Air?

For Migration assistant from MacBook Air to new MacBook Pro will will this also transfer software licenses for apps I have purchased on old (to be decommissioned) MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 11:06 AM

That will depend on several things:

1. Developers have different software license agreements; some can be ported to another computer, some cannot (only one install or computer per license). You need to check with the developer(s).
  2. Depending on how old those apps are, they may not be compatible with the latest OS and/or the developer changed from "one time pay" to a "subscription" model - again, check with developer.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Stuppers

That will depend on several things:

1. Developers have different software license agreements; some can be ported to another computer, some cannot (only one install or computer per license). You need to check with the developer(s).
  2. Depending on how old those apps are, they may not be compatible with the latest OS and/or the developer changed from "one time pay" to a "subscription" model - again, check with developer.

Migration Assistant - will this also transfer software licenses for apps I have purchased on old (to be decommissioned) MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.