Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I backed-up my MacBook with an external device (Lacie USB 3.0 Drive) via Time Machine. When I try to access the apps on the external device a window appears "You can’t open the application “Photos” because it is in a Time Machine backup".

How do I access the backed-up files on the external device?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 6:38 AM

You don't access them directly.

If it helps, do not open the Time Machine backup disk using the Finder. Do not even attempt to view its contents in that manner. It's not designed to work that way. Besides, the temptation to alter its contents is apparently an overwhelming and irresistible compulsion, judging by the number of Mac users who do that and thereby render their TM backups corrupt and unusable.

It is harmless to merely inspect a Time Machine backup device using the Finder, but do nothing else. Look but don't touch.

To learn how to restore individual items (files, folders, apps, etc) from a Time Machine backup, read the Apple Support document referenced above. To learn how to restore an entire system (everything, including all User Accounts and macOS itself) please read Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 6:38 AM in response to ScottNelson

You don't access them directly.

If it helps, do not open the Time Machine backup disk using the Finder. Do not even attempt to view its contents in that manner. It's not designed to work that way. Besides, the temptation to alter its contents is apparently an overwhelming and irresistible compulsion, judging by the number of Mac users who do that and thereby render their TM backups corrupt and unusable.

It is harmless to merely inspect a Time Machine backup device using the Finder, but do nothing else. Look but don't touch.

To learn how to restore individual items (files, folders, apps, etc) from a Time Machine backup, read the Apple Support document referenced above. To learn how to restore an entire system (everything, including all User Accounts and macOS itself) please read Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup.

I backed-up my MacBook with an external device (Lacie USB 3.0 Drive) via Time Machine. When I try to access the apps on the external device a window appears "You can’t open the application “Photos” because it is in a Time Machine backup".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.