Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious unsigned "kernel" found!!!

Whats up guys. I recently been feeling a little strange about a particular kernel file that I found after little snitch called it out denying it connections from "bazillions of IP addresses"

I tried checking the "kernel" signature, located strangely as file name "kernel" but identified by little snitch as macOS Kernel. And feeling my user CPU running a bit high when I started looking into it..

Also showing up as if it was recently created rather recently, which makes me want to delete it, But I know that's a dangerous game messing with kernels.

Should I be concerned?

If it is not signed by apple is it safe to delete?

What can I do? other than First aid... Did that a few times...

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 3:48 AM

CONCEPT-Chrys. wrote:

Should I be concerned?

No

is it safe to delete?

No

What can I do? other than First aid... Did that a few times...

Nothing. It's part of a normal install.

One thing you could do is uninstall Little Snitch.

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 21, 2020 4:03 PM in response to dialabrain

I’d like to rest assured with that, but that does not explain why I should delete little snitch.. Or why the the connection said to incoming from a “bazillion” of IP addresses... Nor why that Kernel is unsigned by apple or anyone... and the (null) ip address source...

Couldn’t that be Like a DDoS attack of some sort... I live in a communal type setting where the wifi is free and I am not sure how safe it is, and purchased little snitch to regulate and confirm who is connecting in and what apps are connecting out...

Thanks for the reply but you did not explain why so I hope you understand why I would still be concerned to give it permission to connect or abstain from deleting little snitch.

I’m not learning anything without a reasonable explanation. :/

Nov 22, 2020 1:35 AM in response to dialabrain

@dialabrain Thanks man, this was the best & non pompous answer that is actually helpful. I can rest with that. If you got them too and have no issues, I should be fine. Personally I've never seen it be an issue or pop up before updating to Big Sur.

I Also didn't want to jump to conclusions on someone who used my computer lately that might've installed something a little shady, I thought.

Nov 22, 2020 1:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

@Barney-15e

I did. I also thought I'd get some respectable intelligent people to reply sooner here. Not people who probably never needed nor used little snitch, to give unsubstantial advice on a software I have found to be quite useful when testing out other software,

I used had a few apps that would cause a bit of lag constantly connecting to the internet when I don't really need it to. Thanks for trying at least.

Suspicious unsigned "kernel" found!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.