Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Winzip for mac 8 (BigSur)

Hello,

Has anyone else got Winzip for Mac 8, and since the upgrade to BigSur it has stopped working!?

I want to check if its just me that double clicks on a zip file and it no longer opens (infact winzip does nothing other than appear on the menu bar).

Thanks.

P.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 4:58 AM

18 replies

Nov 21, 2020 11:10 AM in response to pxrogers

And. I’ve paid for a product to work.

Doesn't seem like you are getting your money's worth. And, you apparently need a workaround to continue your operations.

Because to you it might be easy. To me it’s not.

It could be easy. You seem capable of typing out complete sentences. That's all you have to do in the Terminal.

zip -er MyZipArchive.zip 

Then, drag in the files/folders you want included in the archive. Hit return and it will ask for a password.

If you are using iCloud Drive, make sure the files are downloaded, otherwise it will be skipped.

The archive will be created at the current working directory which defaults to your home folder.

You could either cd to change directory or use the path to the desired location, like:

zip -er ~/Desktop/MyZipArchive.zip 

Nov 26, 2020 11:18 AM in response to adayes

For the record, any file with the .zip extension defaults to open with the Builtin Apple Application. If you want to change the Default to Winzip - Right click a zip file and look for More Information which will open another pop-up. Now look in there for file association which is defaulted to builtin App app. Change it to Winzip as the Default and always will open in Winzip. Now, open Winzip >> Preferences and look for File Types. Associate Winzip as default for ZIP files.

All a matter of preference what will open zip , zipx etc.

Winzip for mac 8 (BigSur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.