Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is “captive.apple.com”

What is captive.apple.com? Why can I not log into my network. My internet has acted up since Nov 19-21, 2020. I’ve run diagnostics, etc. Everything worked fine. Yet, the internet kept dropping and showing error. Next question is which device? Well, all of them. The iPhone Max XS, the iPad 11” & the iPad 12.9” (3rd gen).

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 9:24 AM

The captive.apple.com error suggests that you are trying to access the internet from a public WiFi hotspot; the URL is used by the iPad to detect internet connectivity. Errors relating to the address generally indicate a failure to authenticate the user via the hotspot operator’s paywall/terms page - prior to granting internet connectivity.

Perhaps this support page will be helpful with troubleshooting:

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Apple reportedly uses this URL to test for a Captive Network:

https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

Are you selectively blocking any sites or protocols? You’ll need to check the setup of your WiFi Router. Pay particular attention to any firewall logs - as these may provide useful clues.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 9:24 AM in response to LoveApple2

The captive.apple.com error suggests that you are trying to access the internet from a public WiFi hotspot; the URL is used by the iPad to detect internet connectivity. Errors relating to the address generally indicate a failure to authenticate the user via the hotspot operator’s paywall/terms page - prior to granting internet connectivity.

Perhaps this support page will be helpful with troubleshooting:

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Apple reportedly uses this URL to test for a Captive Network:

https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

Are you selectively blocking any sites or protocols? You’ll need to check the setup of your WiFi Router. Pay particular attention to any firewall logs - as these may provide useful clues.

What is “captive.apple.com”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.