Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Norton antivirus after Big Sur update

Your latest update on my apple PC (BIG SUR) has really messed my anti virus up (norton) everytime i have to reboot, im told the antivirus needs to be fixed, updates installed, security..ect.. Awful...!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 10:52 AM

I fully agree with the above answers. I would add that time and experience on this forum has shown many times over that the app WILL definitely slow down your computer and very often causes a multitude of other issues. It is simply put, the very worst thing you can install and it does no good.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 10:52 AM in response to standek

I fully agree with the above answers. I would add that time and experience on this forum has shown many times over that the app WILL definitely slow down your computer and very often causes a multitude of other issues. It is simply put, the very worst thing you can install and it does no good.

Nov 21, 2020 11:01 AM in response to standek

Here's my 2¢ worth: there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Uninstall Norton according to the developer's instructions.

Nov 22, 2020 6:47 AM in response to Old Toad

I’m no technical expert, but I uninstalled the Norton antivirus from my MAC PC this morning, so far it seems as if I have a new computer, as things are certainly running quicker.. I just hope my Mac is protected enough. The latest updates are always installed as soon as I see them.. Thanks to yourself and all the other answers I received on this subject...

Nov 22, 2020 9:28 AM in response to standek

Good for you. Since you asked, I can offer some comments on a Mac's protection. Your operating system has a built in protection app. But even more important is that now the OS is divided into sections, the Macintosh HD and the Macintosh HD - Data. The first section is where Apple installs its operating system, apps and files. It is read only. This means that nothing can be added to it or changed. The second section is where our apps and files are kept, allowing us to manage it. This is the ultimate in protection, to my way of thinking.

Problems with Norton antivirus after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.