Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and icloud

I am a bit confused. How do I access my iCloud to retrieve pics and such? I think I’m missing something.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 2:00 PM

There is a difference between iCloud Photos (for example) and iCloud Backup. iCloud Photos sync (dynamically as photos change) your photos to iCloud and to other devices where it is turned on and they can be viewed on all of those devices and by using a computer internet browser at iCloud.com. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

On the other hand, if it is turned on, iCloud Backup periodically backs up to iCloud and you can use the backup to restore or set up a device but you cannot view the contents of the Backup. Also things that are already synced to iCloud as described in the first paragraph above are not also backed up by iCloud Backup. See: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

On an iPhone, iCloud is designed to be viewed by using the apps on the device (e.g., the Files app for iCloud Drive, the Photos app for iCloud Photos, the Notes app for notes, etc.).

You can also use an internet browser and log into icloud.com. What you can access via a browser varies by device. See: Which iCloud.com features are available in the browser on your device - Apple Support

Also note that while you can view synced data as described above, it is not possible to view the contents of an iCloud Backup. You can only use the backup to do a full restore of a device or to setup a new device.

The following may also help: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 2:00 PM in response to Oregongal8

There is a difference between iCloud Photos (for example) and iCloud Backup. iCloud Photos sync (dynamically as photos change) your photos to iCloud and to other devices where it is turned on and they can be viewed on all of those devices and by using a computer internet browser at iCloud.com. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

On the other hand, if it is turned on, iCloud Backup periodically backs up to iCloud and you can use the backup to restore or set up a device but you cannot view the contents of the Backup. Also things that are already synced to iCloud as described in the first paragraph above are not also backed up by iCloud Backup. See: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

On an iPhone, iCloud is designed to be viewed by using the apps on the device (e.g., the Files app for iCloud Drive, the Photos app for iCloud Photos, the Notes app for notes, etc.).

You can also use an internet browser and log into icloud.com. What you can access via a browser varies by device. See: Which iCloud.com features are available in the browser on your device - Apple Support

Also note that while you can view synced data as described above, it is not possible to view the contents of an iCloud Backup. You can only use the backup to do a full restore of a device or to setup a new device.

The following may also help: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

iPhone and icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.