Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine failures with Catalina and Big Sur

Since installing Catalina, I've had regular problems with failures of TM, usually overnight, after several successful daytime backups. The problem continues since installing Big Sur. My Mac is 2019 (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019: 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4), and is still in warranty.

I'm using a new WD My Passport external HDD, and have reformatted it numerous times, selecting APFS via Disk Utility. After TM opens, this switches to APFS (Case -sensitive). Next day I find messages saying TM backup failed, with details:

" Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “TM_target” 

"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder."

I have tried Disk First Aid to no avail, and daily restarts have become necessary to reset the TM.

Everything else works well.

Can anyone tell me how to sort this out ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:55 PM

WD enclosurs are the lowest end of external HD available, they are only popular because they are cheap. Have you considered using a better quality enclosures such as https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

Similar questions

4 replies

Time Machine failures with Catalina and Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.