Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X 10.5 download

Hello,

I am currently running Mojave 10.14.6 and trying to update Logic Pro X to 10.5.1, however, the app store only has the latest version of Logic which my computer isn't compatible with. Can someone help with a download link for 10.5?

Thanks a lot!

Scott

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 2:25 PM

26 replies

Jan 27, 2021 2:47 AM in response to Lukas

Lukas, it worked exactly as you described!

Thank you -your help is greatly appreciated!

One thing worth mentioning (while being on the Mac with the older OS, in my case 10.13.6 High Sierra, where you want to install Logic) is that when you press the "Purchased" tab while logged into the Mac App Store (which will list all your app purchases and free downloads) and press the "Install" button next to Logic Pro is that you'll get an error message ("Logic Pro failed to download. Use the purchased page and try again").

Not to worry though. Just go to the app info page for Logic Pro (or use the search function in the App store to find it) where you press the "Install" button:

Regarding the different versions: is there only one version of Logic for each OS version? So there's no point in installing say MacOS 10.13, 10.13.1, 10.13.2 and download Logic from each of those because they will all result in Logic 10.4.8?

Until I install all the different OS versions on different hard drive partitions so I can download the various available Logic versions I have version 10.4.8 which at first glance appears to be working OK as far as I can tell. Like you I just need something that works well for multitrack recording and mixing, so stability/usability comes before some flashy new features.

So I won't mind if I need to downgrade to an earlier version than that if needed (I assume any songs I make with this version won't work with older versions though).

I noticed that the first time I opened Logic I was asked if I wanted to download some essential sounds and loops. Where are they located, and does every version of Logic have different collections of these?

I like to keep full installations on a backup drive, ultimately without the need of downloading stuff on the Internet just in case I don't have access or something. So which files/folders (in addition to the Logic app itself) would I then need to copy over to the backup drive?

Dec 1, 2020 8:15 PM in response to Nool59

So I tried dropping Logic from my apps folder into the trash can again. This time, I rebooted my computer and after reboot, I went to the App store to re-download Logic. It'll tell you that the latest version is only compatible with OSX10.15, but you can install the latest version compatible with your current OS. After re-downloading, I am now using Logic 10.5.1.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Dec 1, 2020 7:33 PM in response to Nool59

I have not solved this yet. I did talk to Apple support about it but, I was not at my DAW computer. He did tell me to delete my current version of logic by dropping it in the trash and then go back to the App store to re-download logic from my purchased apps. However, this did not work.

I will need to call Apple support again while I'm at my computer.

Dec 16, 2020 1:51 AM in response to cameliajade

I'm in the same boat. I spoke to Apple support. It turned out that it wasn't the Logic update that was the issue, the App Store simply will not download anything. I can't download any app or software update through the App Store on Mojave. My research has revealed that this is a well known common issue with Mojave. Apple support had me clear caches and delete all kinds of Preferences. Finally did a complete re-install of Mojave. Nothing worked. Apple support was cool, they seemed committed to helping with the issue, unfortunately, Mojave just kind of *****.

Dec 27, 2020 6:25 PM in response to clinter

Success! I've just upgraded Logic from 10.14 to 10.15, this time on a Mac Pro which had just been upgraded to High Sierra to Mojave. Initially I simply dragged Logic to the trash, then went to the App Store, searched for Logic X and clicked on the download-from-cloud icon. As others have said above, I got the message saying it couldn't download as the latest Version of Logic is not compatible with my OS. So I restarted the Mac, opened the App Store, this time I went to my account on the App Store (bottom left corner), which brought up all my App purchases. I then found Logic X, hovered over the download icon and a new icon with 3 dots appeared to the right. Clicking on that allowed me to download Logic X 10.15 for Mojave. Happy days!

Dec 28, 2020 4:04 AM in response to sacredgroove71

sacredgroove71 wrote:
I don't know if it made a difference or not, but after I rebooted my computer and went to the app store, I signed out and signed back in.

Yes, signing out and in again is a workaround which reportedly helps in many instances, including mine while I was attempting to update Logic on a Mojave partition a few weeks ago.

Jan 26, 2021 5:07 AM in response to osmanthus

osmanthus wrote:
can I buy Logic today (on a Mac running MacOS 10.15.7 or later) and still be able to insstall a version of Logic compatible with an older MacOS?

Yes.

Been there done that 2 months ago.

Installed Logic X successfully (certain Mojave App Store issues notwithstanding) on partitions all the way from El Capitan up to Catalina.

Jan 26, 2021 5:27 AM in response to Lukas

Awesome! Thanks for confirming.

I want to use Logic on a Mac Pro running 10.13 (High Sierra) because I still need to use to use some non-upgradeable 32-bit apps and don't have a metal-compatible graphic card.

Since I also have a Macbook Pro with MacOS 10.15 I'll log into the Mac App Store from there and buy Logic, then log into the Mac App Store from my 10.13 Mac Pro and download/install Logic.

So with this method I assume I can install different OS versions on different HDDs (or HDD partitions), boot into each one, log into the App store do download the Logic version applicable for that OS and save it for later (if I ever need to re-install), right?

Which version of Logic would you recommend for MacOS 10.13 (or below) which is stable while having enough useful features to make it worthwhile? I've read about many disappointed users in the past, struggling with severely bugged versions of Logic, but don't know when that was and with which version.

For archiving/backing up downloaded versions of Logic, is it simply a matter of installing it from the Mac App store, then ZIP compressing the app (found in the "Applications" folder? Or does the installation also put things in the "~/Library/Application Support/" folder as well, which needs to be ZIP compressed the same way?

And what about license authorizations? Is this in the application file itself so it recognizes my App Store username, or do I need to dig up some additional files for this?

Jan 26, 2021 5:53 AM in response to osmanthus

osmanthus wrote:
I want to use Logic on a Mac Pro running 10.13 (High Sierra) because I still need to use to use some non-upgradeable 32-bit apps and don't have a metal-compatible graphic card.

And I'm using mainly El Capitan because of my "obsolete" and "unsupported" yet fully functional Firewire audio interfaces.

Since I also have a Macbook Pro with MacOS 10.15 I'll log into the Mac App Store from there and buy Logic, then log into the Mac App Store from my 10.13 Mac Pro and download/install Logic.

Exactly.

So with this method I assume I can install different OS versions on different HDDs (or HDD partitions), boot into each one, log into the App store do download the Logic version applicable for that OS and save it for later (if I ever need to re-install), right?

Exactly. That's what I did on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012: bought a 2TB SSD, installed partitions from Mountain Lion (original OS) up to Catalina. (Skipping Mavericks & Yosemite because of no use though.)

Which version of Logic would you recommend for MacOS 10.13 (or below) which is stable while having enough useful features to make it worthwhile? I've read about many disappointed users in the past, struggling with severely bugged versions of Logic, but don't know when that was and with which version.

You can't choose. El Capitan = 10.3.3, Sierra = 10.4.4, High Sierra = 10.4.8. That's what you'll get whether you want it or not. You could e.g. copy 10.3.3 or 10.4.4 to the High Sierra partition, if 10.4.8 doesn't work well. But I haven't tested much on Sierra/High Sierra at all. Just checked that Logic launches and does its basic thing.

Personally I'm fine with 10.3.3 for multitrack recording and mixing. It can do everything I did in Logic 9, but without all the crashes on El Capitan, haha…

I will eventually explore the new features of v10.6.x on Catalina. But no rush.

or archiving/backing up downloaded versions of Logic, is it simply a matter of installing it from the Mac App store, then ZIP compressing the app (found in the "Applications" folder?

There won't be any more updates to those versions, so archiving is pointless. But there are other users here on the forum who have reported to painstakingly archive every new version they downloaded.

does the installation also put things in the "~/Library/Application Support/" folder as well, which needs to be ZIP compressed the same way?

The basic installation will ask you if you want to download the whole package.

what about license authorizations? Is this in the application file itself so it recognizes my App Store username, or do I need to dig up some additional files for this?

Strictly technically you can install the app on any computer where you've logged into your App Store account. The license agreement might possibly legally limit you by some means, but frankly: has anyone ever even read it…?

So, I've got 5 instances on MBP 2012 (El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina), and 1 instance on MBP 2008, as it only can boot up to El Capitan. I wasn't able to install Logic 10.0.0 on Mountain Lion though, but it seems that the Mountain Lion App Store is generally rather broken – and abandoned – by now.

Jan 27, 2021 6:42 AM in response to osmanthus

osmanthus wrote:
One thing worth mentioning (while being on the Mac with the older OS, in my case 10.13.6 High Sierra, where you want to install Logic) is that when you press the "Purchased" tab while logged into the Mac App Store (which will list all your app purchases and free downloads) and press the "Install" button next to Logic Pro is that you'll get an error message ("Logic Pro failed to download. Use the purchased page and try again").
Not to worry though. Just go to the app info page for Logic Pro (or use the search function in the App store to find it) where you press the "Install" button:

Yes, the App Store has had such glitches since last December. There are tons of threads on this topic here. Mojave App Store being the worst offender.

Regarding the different versions: is there only one version of Logic for each OS version?

No idea, but likely so.

So there's no point in installing say MacOS 10.13, 10.13.1, 10.13.2 and download Logic from each of those because they will all result in Logic 10.4.8?

Nope.

(I assume any songs I make with this version won't work with older versions though).

I tested this, and I can open and edit a test project I created with v10.6.1 in 10.3.3 showing me a corresponding warning. But as long as you don't use any of the new features, it should work.

I noticed that the first time I opened Logic I was asked if I wanted to download some essential sounds and loops. Where are they located,

Mainly:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand

/Library/Application Support/Logic

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops

/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses

and does every version of Logic have different collections of these?

That's what I need to inspect yet, as I don't want to store multiple sound libraries on each partition either. My El Capitan sound library is slightly different though because it also contains old Logic 9 library. I just haven't checked what the exact differencies are yet, and how they would affect any projects I've done so far.

In fact, since my Catalina partition is only 64 GB in total, I had to relocate the sound library anyway. In the newer versions that can be done via Logic Pro menu > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library.

However, you can't relocate it onto a volume that already has Logic installed.

So my trick was to create a sparse bundle disk image of ca. 100 GB on the El Capitan partition which is 1.5 TB, relocate the basic Catalina sound library there, then download the full sixty-something GB worth of files. The disk image is in my Startup Items so it will automatically mount when I log in on Catalina.

Heck, in fact I have "outsourced" the actual Logic Pro.app to a special folder in El Capitan's /Users/Shared as well, to save yet another GB on Catalina. For the OS it doesn't make a difference as long as you put a symbolic link into the active /Applications folder. Only if you need to update the app via App Store, you may need to copy the full app into the Applications folder again. But this is very advanced stuff. So kids, don't try this at home on your dad's computer! ;)

I like to keep full installations on a backup drive, ultimately without the need of downloading stuff on the Internet just in case I don't have access or something. So which files/folders (in addition to the Logic app itself) would I then need to copy over to the backup drive?

The user settings are now mainly in ~/Music/Audio Music Apps

In theory you could be using the same shared settings for all partitions, again by applying some symlink "magic". But I haven't fully tested it yet beacuse there are also several databases and caches that might cause a Sound Library files mismatch.

Jan 27, 2021 2:47 PM in response to Lukas

Lukas wrote:
osmanthus wrote:

(I assume any songs I make with this version won't work with older versions though).

I tested this, and I can open and edit a test project I created with v10.6.1 in 10.3.3 showing me a corresponding warning. But as long as you don't use any of the new features, it should work.

That's great news! Very uncommon for most software I've come across, so Apple's done something right here!

I noticed that the first time I opened Logic I was asked if I wanted to download some essential sounds and loops. Where are they located?

Mainly:
/Library/Application Support/GarageBand
/Library/Application Support/Logic
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops
/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses

Thanks! I've spent hours downloading all the available extra downloads and backed it all up now, but it's worth having it available offline.

What about the included plugins? Are they all somehow included in the app itself? I didn't find them in the usual "Components" folders.

So the above (in addition to the Logic app itself) should be the full installation?

I don't care about the preferences or other user setups/settings as I just want to back up a factory default setup.

and does every version of Logic have different collections of these?

That's what I need to inspect yet, as I don't want to store multiple sound libraries on each partition either. My El Capitan sound library is slightly different though because it also contains old Logic 9 library. I just haven't checked what the exact differencies are yet, and how they would affect any projects I've done so far.

I agree, in my case the backup drives where I don't want to store multiple copies of identical files/folders with all these loops and sounds etc. They take up around 85 GB (for the latest version downloaded with MacOS 10.15.7).

Please do report back what you find.

Sounds like you have a nice and well thought out setup there.

In my case I have an SSD with just the OS and apps, and a separate and large HDD for my user area (files etc.).

Works great except now my 128 GB SSD is running out of room (too many plugins) :-)

Logic Pro X 10.5 download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.