You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to assign my own MAC Address

I really do have a lot of scenarios where I need to assign my own MAC Address, when they gonna let us do that?!

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 5:24 PM

Well, you can always tell Apple what you want:https://apple.com/feedback. There’s not point in telling us other users in this user-to-user forum. Apple won’t see it.

13 replies

Nov 22, 2020 3:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

What if I do have my own VPN router that needs to connect to the hotel router where I'm staying but can't bypass the welcome page and the only way to do so is by cloning my VPN router MAC address to my iphone's.

Also, If I'm trying to hack into some router and I already know stored MAC addresses there and ofc PW I don't think it would be very challenging for me to add more MAC addresses or do whatever I want on that router I kinda own it now :) c'mon.

Nov 22, 2020 5:17 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you sir, that's why my question was "when" they would let us do so. With my all due respect, there are many ways to use iphone in an illegal way, if someone shot a video of someone in some situation without consent, should we argue to remove cameras from iphones? I wonder why this is so different, I believe they should remove restrictions and let everyone take full responsibility of what they do, they simply can't assume that the only way to use such feature is the illegal one. Thank you for your responses :)

Nov 22, 2020 5:22 PM in response to nomad86

nomad86 wrote:

Thank you sir, that's why my question was "when" they would let us do so.

No one here could possibly answer that. We are not Apple. Apple has made no public statements regarding any intent of offering that feature.

That said, I believe you're going at this backwards... most routers have the ability to set a user defined MAC address. Based on what you want to accomplish, you should be setting the MAC address on the public interface for your router to the same MAC address your phone has, not the other way round.

Nov 22, 2020 5:38 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you. I have ovpn files that works on certain router without hiccups, that router supports mac cloning and I've been doing exactly what you are saying, a new model of that router came out which provides faster ovpn but doesn't support mac cloning, even verified that with vendor. That's why I'm going backwards.

Need to assign my own MAC Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.