Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Audio Problems

I need to use a video for a project and it is from the "photos" app on mac. When I opened the video in iMovie, it did not include the audio. Yet when I tried to play it in every other application (Photo, QuickTime, Finder, etc) it worked just fine. What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 8:57 PM

Hi, Vincent-S,

iMovie is a bit more sensitive to audio codecs than QuickTimePlayer and some other applications. Try converting your troublesome clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fiddling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get audio.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 8:57 PM in response to Vincent-S

Hi, Vincent-S,

iMovie is a bit more sensitive to audio codecs than QuickTimePlayer and some other applications. Try converting your troublesome clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fiddling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get audio.

-- Rich

iMovie Audio Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.