Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed more RAM - using more RAM!

My Mac mini has only had 4GB RAM and normal daily usage was around 3GB - 3.5GB.

I've upgraded to 8GB RAM and now it's using nearly 6GB RAM! Why is this?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 9:42 AM

Please make sure you are not stressing over something that changed seven years ago. Starting with macOS 10.9 in Oct 2013, Apple rebuilt its RAM allocation scheme based on the principle, as other have stated, that unused RAM is wasted RAM. "Free RAM" may be good for Windows but the current metrics for Mac RAM evaluation changes in 2013 to "Memory Pressure" and "Swap Used."

If Pressure is in the green and Swap Used is zero or nearly so, everything is working perfectly.

This screenie is from my old 2010 iMac after updating to OS 10.9. Note how much of its installed RAM was being used, yet the computer was running perfectly at the time I tool the screenshot.

Here is an Apple support article on the subject: View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

And another: Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

The propeller-head version is here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/ManagingMemory.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000160-SW1

If you are still worried about RAM usage, all you need do is to restart the computer once a week or so.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 9:42 AM in response to _iShaun

Please make sure you are not stressing over something that changed seven years ago. Starting with macOS 10.9 in Oct 2013, Apple rebuilt its RAM allocation scheme based on the principle, as other have stated, that unused RAM is wasted RAM. "Free RAM" may be good for Windows but the current metrics for Mac RAM evaluation changes in 2013 to "Memory Pressure" and "Swap Used."

If Pressure is in the green and Swap Used is zero or nearly so, everything is working perfectly.

This screenie is from my old 2010 iMac after updating to OS 10.9. Note how much of its installed RAM was being used, yet the computer was running perfectly at the time I tool the screenshot.

Here is an Apple support article on the subject: View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

And another: Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

The propeller-head version is here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/ManagingMemory.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000160-SW1

If you are still worried about RAM usage, all you need do is to restart the computer once a week or so.

Installed more RAM - using more RAM!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.