Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k (no USB port) crashed and is now flashing white LED

Updated to latest OS a week or two ago. I was streaming a movie and while streaming the screen went black, HDMI was not receiving input and then the white LED started flashing. Could not reset the Apple TV by holding menu and home button, nothing happened after plugging it in and unplugging it multiple times. Not output and does not seem to be receiving input. Best Buy said they could not do anything because it is not within the year warranty. Is there any other option to factory reset the device? Or anything that Best Buy can do that they are not wanting to mention? (Apple stores around me are currently closed)

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 12:21 PM

This model does not have the USB C port, so the above information is not helpful. I also took it into two different authorized service providers and they both turned me away and said that I would have to pay the $150 repair fee because I was out of warranty. So I contacted apple support and they were able to send me a replacement. For anyone reading this, do not waste your time visiting a retail store or provider, reach out to apple support and they will get you set up for a replacement to either be picked up or mailed in even if your product is out of warranty. Your replacement will then come with a full year of warranty and free Apple TV!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 12:21 PM in response to mario49

This model does not have the USB C port, so the above information is not helpful. I also took it into two different authorized service providers and they both turned me away and said that I would have to pay the $150 repair fee because I was out of warranty. So I contacted apple support and they were able to send me a replacement. For anyone reading this, do not waste your time visiting a retail store or provider, reach out to apple support and they will get you set up for a replacement to either be picked up or mailed in even if your product is out of warranty. Your replacement will then come with a full year of warranty and free Apple TV!

Dec 2, 2020 1:47 AM in response to RunningFreakTech

Apple had promised, at model introduction time, that there would not be a service fee for restoring the software on an Apple TV 4K, as users can’t do it themselves through a computer, for this model. You can insist with Apple Retail Stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers that this does not qualify as ‘repair’, and is included service, regardless of warranty.

Fortunately, the Apple Support staff knew better.

Dec 1, 2020 12:11 PM in response to RunningFreakTech

Hello RunningFreakTech,

After reviewing your post, it seems like the Apple TV has a flashing light. You would need to restore the Apple TV to factory settings using a computer, and if you are not able to it would need to be evaluated for service.

"If the status light is flashing

If you don't see video and the status light flashes for more than three minutes, restore your Apple TV to factory settings."

If your Apple TV doesn't turn on

"Restore your Apple TV

1. Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from your Apple TV.
  2. On the back of your Apple TV HD, plug in a USB-C cable. For Apple TV (3rd generation), use a Micro-USB cable. Use the correct cable for your model, and never plug a Lightning to USB cable into your Apple TV.
  3. Plug the other end of your USB-C or Micro-USB cable into a USB port on your computer.
  4. For Apple TV (HD or 3rd generation), plug in the power cord.
  5. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open a Finder window. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Check that you have the latest version of iTunes
  6. Select your device when it appears on your computer. 
  7. Click Restore Apple TV. While it's restoring, don’t unplug anything. The time it takes to restore your Apple TV depends on the speed of your Internet connection.
  8. When your Apple TV has finished restoring, unplug the USB-C or Micro-USB cable and power cord, if connected. Then reconnect the HDMI cable and power cord to your Apple TV."

"If you can't restore your Apple TV, take your Apple TV to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help."

Restore your Apple TV

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Apple TV 4k (no USB port) crashed and is now flashing white LED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.