Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Big Sur - Error 4302

Since upgrading to Big Sur, I continually get this error with my photos library now.

The library is about 17,000 photos, on an external hard drive and not syncing with any service (dropbox, google drive, etc). This drive as a whole IS backed up by Backblaze.

A restart of the computer usually fixes it and I am able to access the library. However, sometimes I will be just using my computer, try to open the library and this happens.

Anyone else?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:48 PM

David MacVicar Said:

"After Big Sur - Error 4302: Since upgrading to Big Sur, I continually get this error with my photos library now."

-------

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Installation/Setup" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 7:48 PM in response to David MacVicar

David MacVicar Said:

"After Big Sur - Error 4302: Since upgrading to Big Sur, I continually get this error with my photos library now."

-------

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Installation/Setup" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 23, 2020 12:42 PM in response to David MacVicar

Hi

What do you think happens when backblaze is trying to access files in the library to back them up - while photos is trying to access them to use the library?

Unless you disable backblaze while photos is open, you can expect problems.

Can you also confirm the external drive is correctly prepared?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Nov 23, 2020 12:43 PM in response to David MacVicar

How is the external hard drive connected to your Mac? Your external hard drive should have a wired connected (not a NAS), it must not have been used by Time Machine or other backup service, the file system format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled). And the external volume should always be mounted, when you log into your user account.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 23, 2020 12:45 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the thorough reply.

I will call out that this error did not ever happen once during Catalina or prior OS versions. Only since upgrading to Big Sur.

Last error 4302, back blaze was not running.

Library is on an external drive, connected directly to computer. I understand the speed thing, but its a 7200RPM drive; I expect it to be decent enough to at least open, and not be inaccessible.

This appears to be an issue related to Big Sur.

After Big Sur - Error 4302

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.