Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get Text source point to meta data in Apple Motion?

Hi,

I'm trying to pull frame rate from metadata of a clip but can't seem to find a way to do it in Apple Motion (yet).

But when I look at Timecode fx in FPCX, there's a line like "@#$sourceObject_projectOrSourceName" to pull name of the source or project. So I think there must be a way to point that line to a different meta data, right?

Do you guys have any idea on where to find the list of codes for this or how to change that line to display source frame rate?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:46 AM

There are two ways that I know work:

@#$sourceObject_metaData_metadataVideoFrameRate

and

@#$sourceObject_metaData_displayFormat

VideoFrameRate will display a whole number or for 29.97, the entire decimal value (14 places):

It will not indicate progressive or interlaced.

_displayFormat will display something like:

1080p 30p

or for 29.97:

1080p 29.97p

For 720x480, something like:

NTSC SD 29.97p (or i)

So displayFormat is generally more useful but will always show two pieces of information.

When you use these, it must be in an Effect for source information. Titles and Generators take on the Project settings.

When you use these in anything, you must uncheck Editable in FCP.

The values you get from the "code" are not anything you can do anything else with in Motion (so far as I have been able to ascertain). They may be useful if you know how to write FxPlugs [which I don't because I loath objective C].

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 12:46 AM in response to Zoker

There are two ways that I know work:

@#$sourceObject_metaData_metadataVideoFrameRate

and

@#$sourceObject_metaData_displayFormat

VideoFrameRate will display a whole number or for 29.97, the entire decimal value (14 places):

It will not indicate progressive or interlaced.

_displayFormat will display something like:

1080p 30p

or for 29.97:

1080p 29.97p

For 720x480, something like:

NTSC SD 29.97p (or i)

So displayFormat is generally more useful but will always show two pieces of information.

When you use these, it must be in an Effect for source information. Titles and Generators take on the Project settings.

When you use these in anything, you must uncheck Editable in FCP.

The values you get from the "code" are not anything you can do anything else with in Motion (so far as I have been able to ascertain). They may be useful if you know how to write FxPlugs [which I don't because I loath objective C].

Nov 24, 2020 1:20 AM in response to fox_m

Thank you so much fox_m, you've just got my salary raised by at least 400%!

May I ask how do you know these lines? Is there a kind of list or something, cuz I think there's maybe more useful info I could pull from metadata that I haven't known of yet.

I use this for my internal team to always see the framerate so they don't forget to slowdown 60fps clips.

How to get Text source point to meta data in Apple Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.