Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Restore without iTunes

Okay, so this is going to be long but bear with me

My grandmother is having an issue remembering the (6 digit) passcode for her iPhone (she has onset Alzheimer's and forgets things often)

When she got the phone, her live-in daughter (my aunt) set up the phone for her, and set up all the accounts, passwords and passcodes, as well as setting up FaceID among other things, I wasn't around during setup (I live in a different city)

Recently, my aunt has passed away, but left a bit of a scavenger hunt as it comes to accounts and passwords, and for what we do have, we don't know what goes to what (nothing's labeled properly)

Not long ago, an auto-update hit her phone (auto downloaded and installed), restarted, and in turn restarted Secure Enclave, asking for her 6 digit passcode (that those among the living can't seem to figure out)

Now I should probably mention at this point, I'm probably the most tech savvy person in my entire family, and I know when to stop, others in my family don't, and keep trying to "help", making matters worse, and downright refuse to listen to me. In this case, they just keep trying passcodes trying to find one that will work, now they did it one too many times and disabled the phone

My grandmother and I went to the Apple Store near her, and due to COVID-19 precautions, they won't even let us enter the store without an appointment, I schedule an appointment (which I was unable to honor) and left, at this point, we were trying to keep the data on her phone, so we were avoiding anything that would wipe it

While we were at the Apple Store, the guy said if we were willing to wipe the data (which we didn't at the time), we could restore it by plugging it into a (any) computer and restarting it in restore mode, I mentioned that all available computers we have at the moment (not including my personal computers, which I don't have access to right now) were (Windows) PCs and don't have iTunes installed (and we will not be installing iTunes, or any other extra software, on them), he said "that is fine, it will work on Windows, and iTunes is no longer required, just plug in the iPhone to USB, restart in recovery mode and BAM, done, you have a factory reset iPhone"

Time goes by and my cousin (the deceased's daughter) takes our grandmother to the same Apple Store, and they say "oh, no problem, we can back that up" and they set up and appointment, they go to the appointment, see that the iPhone is disabled and go "Ooooh, its disabled, yeah we can't back that up", back to square one

I then, while using my phone, remembered that my phone was backed up to iCloud, I later found out that even my mother's iPhone was backed up to iCloud, and it hit me, what if my grandmother's iPhone is already backed up to iCloud? She wouldn't lose anything in a factory reset anyway, it would all be on iCloud at least, and we could eventually get into that

In the meantime, my cousin (same one), finds our grandmother's old iPhone, which contains some of the same apps and photos, so at least she still has access to them... Phew

Anyway, we all decide to just factory reset the phone and erase everything, so I go back over, get her phone and go back to that Apple Store, which again they wont accept walk-ins due to COVID-19, so I planned an appointment for next week, but while discussing it, we figured I could just take her iPhone home with me and use one of the computers here

Here's the problem, nothing they said at the Apple Store seems to be true, I plugged the iPhone into a computer (with Windows 10) that doesn't have iTunes installed and is not currently connected to the internet (but according to the guy at the Apple Store, he never said an Internet connection was required), after getting the iPhone into recovery mode, it just gave me a URL to go to (support.apple.com/iphone/restore)

So I grab my Windows tablet I have available (also Windows 10, and also without iTunes, but is connected to the Internet) and with the iPhone in recovery mode and connected via USB to the tablet, I go to that URL, and read the only part that seems to pertain to what I am trying to do

iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

Which I do, but it doesn't work, all it does is bring me back to the "This iPhone is deactivated" screen

What can i do to reset this iPhone using Windows 10 without iTunes or any other software?

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:14 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 24, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

after getting the iPhone into recovery mode, it just gave me a URL to go to (support.apple.com/iphone/restore)

Follow this process below to keep your personal data.

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn what to do.

Restart your device

If you see the Restore screen, restart your device:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until the device restarts.
  • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Volume Down button until you see the Apple logo. 
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Home button until you see the Apple logo.

Reinstall iOS or iPadOS

If you still see the Restore screen after you restart, you need to reinstall iOS or iPadOS:

1. On your Mac, make sure that you’ve installed the latest software updates (including iTunes if you have MacOS Mojave or earlier). Or on your Windows PC, make sure that you’ve installed the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer using the cable that came with your device. You should see this message: "There's a problem with the [your device name] that requires it to be updated or restored."
  3. Click Update (not Restore) to reinstall iOS or iPadOS and keep your personal data.

If the above fails

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Locate your device on your computer.
  3. While your device is connected, follow these steps:
    • iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into recovery mode.
    • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Top (or Side) and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  1. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall iOS or iPadOS without erasing your data.

Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

If you need more help

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
  • You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

Dec 3, 2020 3:05 PM in response to Mikedamirault2

So we’ve come to a resolution

I went to the Apple Store for the scheduled appointment and they were able to reset the phone for me

Afterwards, I was able to restore from the iCloud backup and return the phone back to how it was before it was disabled, so now everything is working fine

During the factory reset, I talked with the Genius that was helping me and I asked him why I was having problems doing it on Windows without iTunes, which explained everything

I got mixed information from the guy outside whom I scheduled the appointment with, I was told that it didn’t need a Mac and iTunes wasn’t required, hence this thread

Both statements have points that were true, but contradict each other

As I learned from the Genius that helped me, It can be done on Windows, but iTunes is required on Windows (I wasn’t told this part originally), and due to the fragmentation of iTunes into 3 separate apps on a Mac, resetting an iPhone is part of Finder, so technically iTunes isn’t required... On a Mac

Nov 24, 2020 12:19 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

My grandmother is having an issue remembering the (6 digit) passcode for her iPhone (she has onset Alzheimer's and forgets things often)

Incorrect Process:

Erase All Content and Settings and use a new Passcode after the erase won't work because it will ask you for the old passcode. You have only one option read below

Correct Process

If you had attempted unlocking multiple times with incorrect Lock Screen passcode, or if a message says that your device is disabled, learn what you need,

You need a computer to follow these steps. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend.

Forgot? Click below to reset…

Click->If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

Nov 24, 2020 12:21 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

Nov 24, 2020 12:22 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

So I grab my Windows tablet I have available (also Windows 10, and also without iTunes, but is connected to the Internet) and with the iPhone in recovery mode and connected via USB to the tablet, I go to that URL, and read the only part that seems to pertain to what I am trying to do

Connect iPhone to Computer

Use your USB lightening cable --> Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes - Apple Support

If unable to connect --> If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

For your Windows PC —> Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows - Apple Community

Use genuine cable --> Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...

See how to --> Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer ...

If you are experiencing an issue not listed here, contact support

Nov 24, 2020 12:25 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

I then, while using my phone, remembered that my phone was backed up to iCloud, I later found out that even my mother's iPhone was backed up to iCloud, and it hit me, what if my grandmother's iPhone is already backed up to iCloud? She wouldn't lose anything in a factory reset anyway, it would all be on iCloud at least, and we could eventually get into that

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice MemosMessages*, shared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

Nov 24, 2020 12:26 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

Mikedamirault2 wrote:

Recently, my aunt has passed away, but left a bit of a scavenger hunt as it comes to accounts and passwords, and for what we do have, we don't know what goes to what (nothing's labeled properly)

If you are the owner of the iPhone or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner of the iPhone and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password to you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their apple ID.

Nov 24, 2020 12:35 AM in response to Mikedamirault2

I did use a computer

I just said I used 2 computers, both running Windows 10, both without iTunes (as the guy at the Apple Store said iTunes wasn't needed to factory reset an iPhone any longer)

When I go to the URL the iPhone tells me to go to, it tells me to restart the phone as it does in the quote, this just brings me back to where I was, it doesn't start the restore process

Nov 24, 2020 12:44 AM in response to SravanKrA

That's just the thing, the guy at the Apple Store said specifically that iTunes wasn't required, I told him I only had a Windows PC and I wasn't willing to install iTunes

Even if I was willing to, I am limited to a desktop PC without Internet access (meaning I can't download iTunes, because it can't download anything), and a tablet with a full SSD, there's simply no room on it to install iTunes

iPhone Restore without iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.