Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Shuts down after booting up or goes into deep sleep

Hello,

My MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Big Sur 11.0.1 shuts down after booting up or goes into a deep sleep.

The deep sleep normally happens when I'm running on battery power not power cable.

I have done a clean install, upgraded to Big Sur, rest the SMC as it has a T2 chip, held the power button for 5 second when turn off and restarted.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 2:40 PM

Hey punkandchicken,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Community. Due to the nature of your issue, the MacBook Pro may need to be evaluated for service.

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Also, you can contact Apple Support directly here: Get Support

Have a nice day.

6 replies

Dec 2, 2020 10:05 AM in response to punkandchicken

Greetings punkandchicken,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like the MacBook Pro will unexpectedly shutdown after booting up. If you can get to the Desktop you may need to change some Energy Saver preferences.

Do you receive an error message?

Are you able to use the Mac at any point?

Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer

"Check your software

If the issue is caused by software on your Mac, one of these steps might help:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Dec 22, 2020 2:08 PM in response to punkandchicken

Hey punkandchicken,

Thanks for the update. It is possible that there is a schedule to put the computer to sleep.

Does the Mac go to sleep at the same time of day?

Has the MacBook Pro gone to sleep while in use more than once?

"On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Battery, then click Schedule.

Select the options you want to use.

• Schedule a startup or wake time for your Mac: Select the “Start up or wake” tickbox. Choose a day or group of days, enter a time, then click Apply.
  • Schedule a sleep, restart or shutdown time for your Mac: Select the “Sleep, restart or shut down” tickbox and choose the appropriate option from the pop-up menu. Choose a day or group of days, enter a time, then click Apply."

Schedule your Mac notebook to turn on or off

You can find more information by using another one of Apple's support resources.

Get Support

Have a good one.

Jan 6, 2021 12:13 PM in response to mario49

Hello mario49,

No, it's not set to schedule.

So today I turned on my laptop after not using it for two weeks and it had 50%battery power it booted up and as soon as teh Finder page came up it went into a deep sleep and could only wake up once I plugged in the power cable.

I do not use my laptop all the time but I always shut it down.

What are your thoughts - Many thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Shuts down after booting up or goes into deep sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.