Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compromised Password

I checked my saved passwords on my mac and it shows this. Is this a sign that someone else knows my password? Am I hacked? Do I have a virus? Can anyone please help me

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:39 AM

Greetings Elizalde_06,

Thanks for your post. It appears your password has been compromised and the Keychain Access app has alerted you to reset the password for a specific app. We've got your back!

Given the screenshot and information, it's hard to know how the password was compromised exactly. However, the screenshot does mention it was in a data leak. This doesn't mean your Mac has been compromised, but the password to this specific application has been.

With that said, we'd encourage you to reset any compromised passwords, for your security. In this case, it looks like this happened in the Zoom app. You'll want to follow the link or go directly to the Zoom website to reset your password with them. Here's a shortcut to their website: Forgot your password? (Link is for the US.)

Keychain Access is the built-in app that saves your username and password. With Big Sur, it now will inform you of any leaked passwords. Which is great for securing your accounts. Learn more about Keychain Access here: What is Keychain Access on Mac?

Be safe out there and take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Elizalde_06

Greetings Elizalde_06,

Thanks for your post. It appears your password has been compromised and the Keychain Access app has alerted you to reset the password for a specific app. We've got your back!

Given the screenshot and information, it's hard to know how the password was compromised exactly. However, the screenshot does mention it was in a data leak. This doesn't mean your Mac has been compromised, but the password to this specific application has been.

With that said, we'd encourage you to reset any compromised passwords, for your security. In this case, it looks like this happened in the Zoom app. You'll want to follow the link or go directly to the Zoom website to reset your password with them. Here's a shortcut to their website: Forgot your password? (Link is for the US.)

Keychain Access is the built-in app that saves your username and password. With Big Sur, it now will inform you of any leaked passwords. Which is great for securing your accounts. Learn more about Keychain Access here: What is Keychain Access on Mac?

Be safe out there and take care!

Dec 3, 2020 1:58 PM in response to Elizalde_06

It could be a leak from Zoom itself. Change the password you use for Zoom and if you use it at other sites change it there.

There's a free app for creating passwords called StrongPasswords. It can create passwords with up to 64 characters. For example this 64 character password:

pLeQP8qV2LwHimlU1JX2JtFqZJc36R0zTKFHK2EQkOgcwbN0I6FtnNyJyvgsG2kS

It's a bit long for me. I like to keep them to about 20 characters long.

However, in order to remember them one can use apps like LastPass or 1Password which not only stores them but assists in applying them on the appropriate sites.

Dec 2, 2020 9:50 PM in response to Elizalde_06

Almost everyone has at least one compromised password since websites and businesses have had multiple data leaks where user names, email addresses, and passwords and other personal information have been taken/stolen from compromised websites which stored the information insecurely.

Some web browsers and other apps plus some operating systems like Big Sur are now checking users' passwords against a list of known compromised passwords to alert you that the particular password is now not safe to use. Any accounts you have which use that compromised password should have the password changed. Only change the password using the official methods provided by the website (such as Zoom in this particular case). Sometimes the official apps from those websites/vendors (again such as the Zoom app) may have a method of changing the password with the official app as well. Never change your password by clicking on a suggested link from an email or a pop-up notification (even if it is an Apple notification) as it is a scam (aka phishing attempt) to acquire your password.

Compromised Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.