Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Irregular Heart Notification Question

I turned on notifications for irregular heart rate. But my Apple 5 watch says "No Data." When i look at "Data Sources," it says "none" and it has no edit button on this screen. How do i add my watch as a data source?

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 3:02 PM

I think i understand. The app says "No Data" because it has not yet received data from my watch indicating i have an irregular heartbeat? If and when that happens, then the data source screen will be updated to identify my watch as the source?

By way of customer feedback, i wanted to respectfully suggest that when the app reports "No Data," this is confusing. Particularly when i checked further and saw that the data source screen said "none." When other digital devices say "no data," the usual conclusion is that they are not working. For example, if your digital thermometer said "no data", you would assume it was not set up right.

So, rather than have the irregular heartbeat screen say "No Data", why not have it say "No irregular heartbeat detected?" My understanding is that my watch is checking my heart for irregularities periodically every day. So my watch is certainly collecting data. Right?

The confusion is worsened when you check the data source screen and it says "None." All the other fitness monitoring functions [e.g., heart rate, steps, V02 max] DO in fact identify a data source, my watch. Given this pattern for the other functions, when you tell the consumer that there is NO data source for the irregular heartbeat function, it makes us think it wasn't installed correctly, or has some other glitch.

Anyhow, thanks for passing my concern along, and thanks for answering my question.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 3:02 PM in response to Community User

I think i understand. The app says "No Data" because it has not yet received data from my watch indicating i have an irregular heartbeat? If and when that happens, then the data source screen will be updated to identify my watch as the source?

By way of customer feedback, i wanted to respectfully suggest that when the app reports "No Data," this is confusing. Particularly when i checked further and saw that the data source screen said "none." When other digital devices say "no data," the usual conclusion is that they are not working. For example, if your digital thermometer said "no data", you would assume it was not set up right.

So, rather than have the irregular heartbeat screen say "No Data", why not have it say "No irregular heartbeat detected?" My understanding is that my watch is checking my heart for irregularities periodically every day. So my watch is certainly collecting data. Right?

The confusion is worsened when you check the data source screen and it says "None." All the other fitness monitoring functions [e.g., heart rate, steps, V02 max] DO in fact identify a data source, my watch. Given this pattern for the other functions, when you tell the consumer that there is NO data source for the irregular heartbeat function, it makes us think it wasn't installed correctly, or has some other glitch.

Anyhow, thanks for passing my concern along, and thanks for answering my question.

Dec 3, 2020 11:26 AM in response to barberlives123

You didn't answer my question. The information you provided was generic on how to manage health data and notifications. My problem is specific. The "data sources" screen for irregular rhythm notifications does not contain an edit button like the data sources screens for the other functions (e.g., heart rate or steps). Please read my question again and provide me with a specific answer that allows me to add my watch as a data source for irregular rhythm notifications. Thank you.

Dec 2, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Watchman100

Hey there Watchman100,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some questions about managing the Health data on your Apple Watch. We’ll be happy to help with this.

You’ll want to review the info from this resource for details on how to manage the Health data on your device:

Manage Health data on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

Also, please look over this article for info on setting up irregular rhythm notifications on your devices. There are some different requirements so make sure to read the info under “Here's what you need to enable irregular rhythm notifications”:

Heart health notifications on your Apple Watch

If you still have questions about irregular heart notifications, you can reach out to Apple Support at this link to provide support:

Contact Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 3, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Watchman100

Your watch adds a data source automatically when the health app receives data from the irregular heart beat notification.

Which is why you can't enter a data source manually.

Irregular Heart Notification Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.