Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't add songs to iTunes library

I've tried loads of iTunes alternatives to simply play music files but none of them are any good

so I stick with iTunes player as it gets the job done.

Is there a way to prevent songs being added to the iTunes library?

I just want to use the iTunes players to play songs - that's it - without them being added to the library and thus taking up disk space.

I have separate folders to organise my music.

I know I can play a song from Finder using Spacebar but it automatically changes song when scrolling through other songs.

Quicktime player would be OK if it auto-played the song instead of having to open it, then pressing play.

Plus, opening another song opens another QT player so you have to close the current window or both songs will play over each other.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 5:43 AM

Shaun,

If you already have the audio file on your computer, and you want to play it in iTunes/Music without adding a new copy, then go to Preferences > Files, and uncheck "Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library."

Or if you really just don't want it to create the library entry at all, you will indeed have to use a different player such as QT.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 5:43 AM in response to _iShaun

Shaun,

If you already have the audio file on your computer, and you want to play it in iTunes/Music without adding a new copy, then go to Preferences > Files, and uncheck "Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library."

Or if you really just don't want it to create the library entry at all, you will indeed have to use a different player such as QT.

Don't add songs to iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.