You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages notifications show phone number instead of name

Messages notifications on Big Sur show phone number instead of name. Can this be changed to show name like it used to?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 2:20 PM

Hi there Mwijtman,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your Messages notifications showing a phone number and not the contact name, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

First, check to make sure your contacts are syncing as expected with your Mac: Set up and use iCloud Contacts

If the issue persists, try restarting your Mac: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We hope this helps.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2020 2:20 PM in response to Mwijtman

Hi there Mwijtman,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your Messages notifications showing a phone number and not the contact name, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

First, check to make sure your contacts are syncing as expected with your Mac: Set up and use iCloud Contacts

If the issue persists, try restarting your Mac: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We hope this helps.

Dec 30, 2020 10:06 AM in response to Mwijtman

I don’t suppose a permanent solution has been discovered for this beyond just restarting your Mac once it crops up again?

This consistently still happens under Big Sur on my iMac. Yes, every setting is as it should be and always has been, and yes, restarting fixes it for a while—but it eventually happens again. All iOS devices are set up as they should be and are all on the latest public releases (no betas). I’ve even nuked the Contacts database pulled down from iCloud altogether to default state, but still ... it begins happening again and I can’t figure out what’s triggering it. 🤔

This was also an issue that cropped up towards the end of Catalina, so I feel like it might’ve been introduced there. If I figure out how to reproduce it, I’ll post it! 😔

messages notifications show phone number instead of name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.