Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer High CPU usage while connected to external monitor - Big Sur

So, few bits of context

• I've got a MacBook 12" from 2017
  • It's connected to an external monitor via USB-C to a Satechi V2 dongle and then HDMI to the monitor

I'm experiencing a few things:

1. Stuttering when I move windows (like dropping frames)
  2. Videos stutter when my mouse pointer is in motion
  3. WindowServer in Activity Monitor shoots through the roof of CPU usage when I move my mouse a lot
  4. The above is accompanied by the beach ball

See screenshot 

I've had a bit of a speedup by disabling "Displays have seperate spaces" in the System Preferences, but it's still happening. It's also slowing down game animations as when my mouse it moving, games won't animate.

Any thoughts?

MacBook, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 11:19 AM

Same issue with an external GPU connected to monitors using my 13" 2019 MacBook Pro. Only started after I installed Big Sur. Apple, have your engineers figure out why WindowServer is going nuts, please. This is really disappointing.

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 8, 2021 11:06 AM in response to jellymadmerlin

Hello jellymadmerlin,

The WindowServer Process is the process that draws or displays everything on your screen. (Example, you have textedit and you are typing, windowserver refreshes your display to show what is happening.) When you connect to an external monitor, WindowServer usage goes up due to it redrawing/displaying both displays per second. Disable “Displays have separate Spaces” in Mission Control. When doing this, keep in mind to not fullscreen any application as your display will be blank if full screened.

I hope I helped you

Mar 26, 2021 11:13 AM in response to jellymadmerlin

I experience the same problem using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with a 5K Eizo Display under Big Sur. When playing the frame rate drops sometimes to under 10 Frames in World of Warcraft due to extremly high usage of WindowServer, when I use the internal display I do only rarely encounter this problem. 6 Years after the introduction of 5K displays this is really a huge disappointment.

WindowServer High CPU usage while connected to external monitor - Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.