Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing backed up Photos libraries without importing all to new Mac Photos app

I have two large Photos libraries stored on an external hard drive.

To now view these libraries, do I have to import them onto my new Macbook Air (which there is not enough memory for), or is there a way to simply view the photos from the external backup drive without updating my library?

I held Options while opening Photos, selected to view my backed up library from my external drive, and the Photos app now shows "Updating Library... 5% complete" and is moving very slowly.

Please help if you know of a better way! Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 4:09 PM

Hi - Are these libraries from older versions of photos (or iPhoto)

If so, then they will need to be updated to the current version you are running. Whatever you do, don't stop the process - especially if you don't have a backup.

Does the external drive have a fast connection? At least USB3? If not, then you can expect the process to be very slow.

Are they on a correct format, and not on a network drive?

The external storage must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 4:09 PM in response to meghanmf

Hi - Are these libraries from older versions of photos (or iPhoto)

If so, then they will need to be updated to the current version you are running. Whatever you do, don't stop the process - especially if you don't have a backup.

Does the external drive have a fast connection? At least USB3? If not, then you can expect the process to be very slow.

Are they on a correct format, and not on a network drive?

The external storage must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Viewing backed up Photos libraries without importing all to new Mac Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.