Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube video black screen

I tried to play a YouTube video through the YouTube app at 5:40pm on 11/24/2020 but it was black screen and the audio was only playing.. I’ve seen people recommending to clear the cache of the app or delete the app then re-install or other suggestions.. Does anyone know why the YouTube app did or does this? Is it happening because there is a virus in my iPad or is the Youtube app having a bug problem or... ?? Also how do I clear the cache of apps on the iPad? How do I know that my iPad has a virus?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Good evening joori__zhuli,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you had an issue playing a video in the YouTube app on your iPad. Was this a video that you searched for in the app, or was a link to the video provided to you? Did you have any issues playing other videos while you had the YouTube app open on your iPad? Did you test to see if videos would play in Safari or in other web-based apps? The inability to play one or more video files does not indicate a bug or a virus on your device.

We assume you are asking how to close all open apps to "clear the cache" on your iPad. Quit the YouTube app and restart your iPad as the first troubleshooting step.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists for any video that you attempt to play in YouTube, you can try deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app:

Open the Settings app and tap General > iPad Storage

Find the YouTube app in the list (which is sorted by data used)

Tap Delete App

Try downloading the YouTube app again from the App Store. If the issue persists, follow the instructions below to reach out to YouTube directly:

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 5:01 PM in response to joori__zhuli

Good evening joori__zhuli,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you had an issue playing a video in the YouTube app on your iPad. Was this a video that you searched for in the app, or was a link to the video provided to you? Did you have any issues playing other videos while you had the YouTube app open on your iPad? Did you test to see if videos would play in Safari or in other web-based apps? The inability to play one or more video files does not indicate a bug or a virus on your device.

We assume you are asking how to close all open apps to "clear the cache" on your iPad. Quit the YouTube app and restart your iPad as the first troubleshooting step.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists for any video that you attempt to play in YouTube, you can try deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app:

Open the Settings app and tap General > iPad Storage

Find the YouTube app in the list (which is sorted by data used)

Tap Delete App

Try downloading the YouTube app again from the App Store. If the issue persists, follow the instructions below to reach out to YouTube directly:

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Take care.

YouTube video black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.