Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Leaks after updating to BigSur

Hi!

I recently upgraded to BigSur OS. From then on I keep getting "System out of application memory" error stating that Safari is consuming over 100GB of memory while I just open a Jupyter Notebook or a web page that takes longer to load (even on YouTube and LinkedIn). And even when idle, Safari is consuming over 20GB of memory whereas my memory is just 16GB. Here is a screenshot of the recent message. Is it just me or anyone who's facing this issue?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:32 PM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Chaitanya_kasaraneni

Hello Chaitanya_kasaraneni,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're getting a notification that the "System out of application memory" showing that Safari is consuming over 100 GB. We're happy to help. How much hard drive space do you have available? Have you install all software updates available in the Mac App Store and install all third-party software and plug-in updates?

Check out the following support articles:

Test this issue in safe mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Test in a new user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2021 10:09 PM in response to Chris_C1

Hi,

I have an intel Macbook air from 2017. I am facing the same issue. The same Jupyter notebook was working fine with Catalina, and this issue has started for me only after the Big Sur update of 11.1.

I have checked the same issue with other browsers such as Chrome and Firefox. It works fine with them. This issue appears to happen only on safari.

I tried to fix the issue by booting in the safe mode and doing the same process, but it didn't work.

Thank you

Shankara Narayananan

Memory Leaks after updating to BigSur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.