Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - keep Old Drive, Start a New Drive ?

If I have a time machine drive full, can I unplug it and just start a new Time Machine one on a new drive?

If I need files off the old TM drive can I just plug it in to get the files I may need?

There seems to be no information about this, anywhere.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:49 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2020 3:16 PM in response to SoloMeter

SoloMeter wrote:

So would I eject the new TM and plug in the old TM to access old files, and if so, is there a reason why the old TM would not start trying to do a backup ?

Is it then possible to keep the old Time machine (TM1) drive plugged in and just add a new Time Machine (TM2) drive that starts saving my backups to TM2? If so, is there a way to do this ?

Thanks.

Open the Time Machine Preference

click Add or Remove Backup Disk...

select the old TM Backup Disk

click Remove Disk

Nov 25, 2020 1:44 PM in response to den.thed

Hi, Thanks

So would I eject the new TM and plug in the old TM to access old files, and if so, is there a reason why the old TM would not start trying to do a backup ?

Is it then possible to keep the old Time machine (TM1) drive plugged in and just add a new Time Machine (TM2) drive that starts saving my backups to TM2? If so, is there a way to do this ?

Thanks.

Time Machine - keep Old Drive, Start a New Drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.