Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Desktop Wallpaper Won't Update

I recently updated to Big Sur on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017). It all is fine except that I cannot change my desktop wallpaper. I've tried updating using the system preferences menu and even when selecting new images it doesn't update. I've tried setting an image from a folder as the background and that doesn't work. I've deleted the com.apple.desktop.plist to no avail. I've restarted, run in safe mode, etc. Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 3:09 AM

Joseph Saxon Said:

"The way I used to solve this problem by just deleting the com.apple.desktop.plist in ~/Library/Preference but it doesn't appear in Big Sur."

-------

Go Here: Installed Big Sur and desktop background option is blank in System Preferences - Apple Community

To Enable the "Change Picture" option:

1. Click: Colors
  2. Choose: [any color]
  3. Click: Background Pictures again
  4. Choose: [a picture] and [a rotation period]
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 3:09 AM in response to Joseph Saxon

Joseph Saxon Said:

"The way I used to solve this problem by just deleting the com.apple.desktop.plist in ~/Library/Preference but it doesn't appear in Big Sur."

-------

Go Here: Installed Big Sur and desktop background option is blank in System Preferences - Apple Community

To Enable the "Change Picture" option:

1. Click: Colors
  2. Choose: [any color]
  3. Click: Background Pictures again
  4. Choose: [a picture] and [a rotation period]

Nov 30, 2020 11:37 AM in response to DD_VK

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 30, 2020 5:37 PM in response to Old Toad

Booting into safe mode doesn't help. There's no change there either. Screenshot shows attempt to change background in safe mode:

I also tried this in a different profile in regular boot, and in safe mode. No change.

I talked with apple support they think it might be something to do with a work software permission issue in JAMF:

Dec 23, 2020 10:49 PM in response to SJB-Bristol

Is your default library on your main drive? Mine wasn't, it was on ssd on its own. I solved the problem by creating an alias of my library and putting in my main folder ~/Pictures, I renamed it taking the alias off the end. It worked! I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but my system library wasn't the standard "Photo Library.photolibrary," I called it another name, I also changed the actual library folder to "Photo Library.photolibrary." I don't know which one worked but I have my own desktop pictures from my Photo Library.

Jan 20, 2021 7:29 AM in response to DD_VK

This is the buggiest OS I have played with in all my years. It won't keep the desktop settings. It has ridicules iOS message boxes. It looks as if Apple is trying to see how much they can insult the developer, and user community by making their own version of Windows Vista. Good Job! Apple, you have made an OS that makes Windows Vista look usable, and Windows 8 user friendly.

Big Sur Desktop Wallpaper Won't Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.