Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message backup switched off and now can't access them!

Hi everyone,

My iPhone 7 switched off backing up my messages randomly and now I can't recover my partner's messages from before a particular date. Every other contact I have is showing the messages as normal. Has anyone else had this issue and can it be resolved? I have enough iCloud storage and it's just weird that this happened out of the blue like this.

Thanks!

icedvovo

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 9:27 PM

Are you referring to the setting shown below that is OFF?

Open Settings ➔ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Messages : Is this setting set to OFF?

If it is set to OFF then you are right that whenever that switch was set to OFF, the Messages stopped using iCloud. The only thing that can bring back some or all of those missing messages is a computer backup since the date after the iCloud for Messages was set to OFF. If you have a recent computer backup then you can restore your iPhone from it. The drawback here is that your iPhone will return to the state it was (Apps and Data included) during the day and time of that backup.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 9:27 PM in response to Icedv0v0

Are you referring to the setting shown below that is OFF?

Open Settings ➔ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Messages : Is this setting set to OFF?

If it is set to OFF then you are right that whenever that switch was set to OFF, the Messages stopped using iCloud. The only thing that can bring back some or all of those missing messages is a computer backup since the date after the iCloud for Messages was set to OFF. If you have a recent computer backup then you can restore your iPhone from it. The drawback here is that your iPhone will return to the state it was (Apps and Data included) during the day and time of that backup.

Axel F.

Nov 27, 2020 8:03 PM in response to Axel Foley

Yes, it was set to OFF, unfortunately. As I backup to the Cloud and not my laptop anymore, I'm stuck. I can't go back and look at a particular date as iCloud doesn't seem to let me see how long it stores backups for. The weird thing is that it was only one message strand, not all of them, so not sure what's happened so figure that I've lost all the messages, which is terrible.

Appreciate the reply, though :)

Message backup switched off and now can't access them!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.