Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install iOS update but it won’t load

Can’t install update on my iPad

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 5:27 AM

You do not need to update if you already have iOS 12.4.9.

In fact, you can't if your iPad has iOS 12.4.9 version.

If your iOS version is below 12.4.9, read here => Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

• Sounds like you got a second hand iPad since iPad Air discontinued in 2016 (more than 4 years ago)
10 replies

Nov 25, 2020 4:40 AM in response to Decanter24

The tags appended to your post suggest that you have first generation iPad Air. This model of iPad can only be updated to iOS 12.4.9.

Apple ended major update support for iPad Air1 in September 2019 - since then only receiving “point” security updates. An iPad Air1 cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (RAM and CPU) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad Air1, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS14.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn if you do, indeed, possess an iPad Air1.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad Air.

Nov 25, 2020 4:50 AM in response to Decanter24

Decanter24 wrote:

Ok so how do I use it without the new update

The same way that you have been using it all along. You run the apps that the device is capable of running and that’s all that you can do. The device hasn’t stopped functioning, it is simply too old for any further software updates and therefore can’t take advantage of the newest features that the current iOS offers.

Trying to install iOS update but it won’t load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.