Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving widgets

So recently there has been an update a month or two ago where apps can now have "widgets" of them that display info about them without having to actually launch the app. I really like that feature, but here's my problem: Why is there no app library or home widgets on iPads? For example iPhone users have an app library where they can keep track of all their apps at once, while iPad users dont. Also, iPad users can only put widgets on the "Today View" while iPhone users can put them wherever they want on the actual home screen. I was really looking forward to fully customizing my home screen like the other people are, but for some reason when I try to move a widget with the smaller apps, it disappears and returns to where it was before. Please fix this. :(

iPad Mini 5, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 10:15 AM

iPad and iPhone have different features and Apps.

Widgets are implemented differently on the iPad and iPhone platforms - the available features for each being documented in the respective User Guide:

Apple - Support - Manuals

The ability to freely place Widgets on Home Screens is a feature of iOS14 for iPhone. iPadOS14 instead has a Today view to which Widgets can be pinned to the first Home Screen. This feature not available to iPhone.

The iPhone, by contrast, enjoys the ability to freely place widgets across multiple Home Screens - and has the App Library feature.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 10:15 AM in response to grape224

iPad and iPhone have different features and Apps.

Widgets are implemented differently on the iPad and iPhone platforms - the available features for each being documented in the respective User Guide:

Apple - Support - Manuals

The ability to freely place Widgets on Home Screens is a feature of iOS14 for iPhone. iPadOS14 instead has a Today view to which Widgets can be pinned to the first Home Screen. This feature not available to iPhone.

The iPhone, by contrast, enjoys the ability to freely place widgets across multiple Home Screens - and has the App Library feature.

Moving widgets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.