You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini 3

Till when i will be able to use my ipad mini 3?

it’s in a good condition and updated till ios 12.4.9 but can’t updated further

can i still be using it and downloading any app?

when is the expected year that it will become a useless device?

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:14 PM

iPad Air, iPad mini2 or mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.4.9.

Apple ended update support for these devices in September 2019. They cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions). 

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS13/14.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2020 3:14 PM in response to Mahakhater

iPad Air, iPad mini2 or mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.4.9.

Apple ended update support for these devices in September 2019. They cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions). 

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS13/14.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad.

Nov 25, 2020 3:47 PM in response to Mahakhater

Third party app compatibility with iOS 12.4.9 will continue through another full year, but during the year, you can expect app compatibility with iOS 12 to dwindle as the year continues.

Once all app compatibility disappears for iOS 12, you maybe able to still get by on that iPad model for another year, or so.

Apps that will get directly affected are any apps that rely on a connection to the Intenet for full functionality like many interactive games and online media streaming services, as well as dedicated banking apps may become unsupported/made non-functional by their respective developers over time.

Apple supported that iPad nearly 6 years.

Existing third party app developers, most likely, will continue to support iOS 12 locked iPads for another year, or so, before all app support disappears.

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 27, 2020 3:15 AM in response to Mahakhater

No one here works for Apple.

I am just a user, like you, who volunteers my time here to help out fellow Apple product users.

That iPad Mini is over 6 years old.

As I stated, you still have another full year ( 2021 ) of third party iOS app support and even after third party app supports goes away, you could still use that iPad easily for another, additional year, or so.

That iPad is DONE getting ANY other new, major iOS/iPadOS system support other than minor security updates to iOS 12.

Still many iOS 12 supported apps still available from the Apple iOS App Store.

So, it is still entirely your decision what you want/wish to do.

I cannot make that decision for you.

That iPad is still perfectly usable.

Apple will probably NOT give you very much money for an over 6-year old iPad for trade for s new iPad.

You'd be better off keeping that iPad as a secondary iPad and purchase another new iPad.

Best of Luck to You!

Ipad mini 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.