Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os update not possible

what is the latest os for my iMac 27 running 10.13.6 currently? I just tried Mojave, catalina and after pressing download button i get the message that this software can not be installed to my computer. Why not?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:05 PM

Nope, it cannot go beyond 10.13.6. The reason being is Mojave requires a GPU that has Metal, that functionality was not available until the 2012 iMacs were introduced. And before you ask, no your iMac cannot be upgraded to have Metal GPUs. If you want to go beyond 10.13.6, it is time to buy a new Mac. You may want to consider one of the new Mac minis, extremely fast and Big Sur was optimized for the M1 processor.

Note: If you run any third party 32 bit apps, they will not run. This means they must be updated or replaced before running Catalina or later versions of Mac OS.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 7:05 PM in response to gary Coleman

Nope, it cannot go beyond 10.13.6. The reason being is Mojave requires a GPU that has Metal, that functionality was not available until the 2012 iMacs were introduced. And before you ask, no your iMac cannot be upgraded to have Metal GPUs. If you want to go beyond 10.13.6, it is time to buy a new Mac. You may want to consider one of the new Mac minis, extremely fast and Big Sur was optimized for the M1 processor.

Note: If you run any third party 32 bit apps, they will not run. This means they must be updated or replaced before running Catalina or later versions of Mac OS.

mac os update not possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.