Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing Macintosh HD problem

I want to erase my iMac (2010) disk running High Sierra as I am recycling my iMac. I followed the steps on "What to do before you sell, give away or trade in you Mac" published June 04, 2020. At step 7, erase your hard drive, after selecting the Macintosh HD in sidebar the Erase button will not highlight. Only First Aid and Partition buttons in tool bar are highlighted, Erase, Restore, Unmount buttons are not highlighted (made available).

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:11 PM

You need to be booted from another drive or from a macOS installer so you can erase the drive. Click on the link within Step #7 to get more information on how to erase the drive.

I recommend you first enable Filevault on the hard drive and let the process complete so when you go to erase the drive none of your data will be accessible when you erase the drive. Just using Disk Utility to "erase" the drive will not destroy the data, but it will destroy access to all the data if Filevault has been enabled & the encryption process has completed.

You may want to create a bootable macOS USB installer using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 5:11 PM in response to gfmcquaid

You need to be booted from another drive or from a macOS installer so you can erase the drive. Click on the link within Step #7 to get more information on how to erase the drive.

I recommend you first enable Filevault on the hard drive and let the process complete so when you go to erase the drive none of your data will be accessible when you erase the drive. Just using Disk Utility to "erase" the drive will not destroy the data, but it will destroy access to all the data if Filevault has been enabled & the encryption process has completed.

You may want to create a bootable macOS USB installer using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Dec 1, 2020 5:24 PM in response to gfmcquaid

You're welcome. Apple's instructions make a lot of assumptions that don't always apply to all users especially those involving older systems using hard drives. I'm glad you were concerned enough to inquire about the proper method of securely destroying your personal data on the old Mac since most people never give it a second thought.

Erasing Macintosh HD problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.